Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best method of N/A Air intake?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
1st fail - Being worried about improving your intake on your n/a v6.
2nd fail - Turning this thread somehow towards war.

Comparison or metaphor. Still a poor example.

3rd fail.. we didn't win at Gallipoli.. it wasn't the OP that brought the subject up though.

We didn't 'run away in the middle of the night' either.. we made a strategic withdrawal away from a battle we couldn't win.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
that-escalated-quickly-dump-20-3cbe6394-sz624x624-animate.jpg

sleepinvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99" vt berlina
back to topic guys, it doesnt really give you that extra 300+hp were chasing for our ecotecs, but it does make it seem a bit more responsive, and sound alittle bit better...if you want cheap DIY, look up the monaro airbox mod....but keep in mind, your only running a v6 so dont expect the gains that they got, but nonetheless, better then standard

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Just to clarify, you compared 2 DIFFERENT cars and found them to feel different?

QUICK! Stop the press, we've got a new front page story!

I put a SS Reduction CAI on my old s-pack and noticed nothing other than some more noise. When I put a high flow filter I noticed better throttle response but again about it.

If you compared your care before and after, with data to back it up, then we can talk "alot better" as there is also a little thing called the placebo effect.

we found mine would want to rev more in the top end... the other just died in the ass. i had extractors too i dunno

was just trying to fit into this v6 mod phenomenon :(

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The ecotec is pretty much all done as far as intake goes. There isn't much more that can be achieved on a STOCK engine by changing the intake. (Notice I didn't say improve).

From personal experience, I put a K&N high flow in my VS (not a VT I know, but it's still an ecotec), and the only thing it did was use more fuel. Throttle response was marginally improved, don't know about top end as I didn't do a before and after speed trial. I also put a V8 intake on it, made no difference.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Giving up? I don't think so. It's called rationally looking at a situation and then taking the most prudent plan of attack. How much $$ is some carbon air enclosure going to cost, and what are the benefits really going to be. It's like most things you do to a V6 commodore. Whether it be an Airbox or some bits of wood wedged under your manifold the real world gain is about the same as taking the spare wheel out.

Sent from here, so you can read it there via iPhone.

Manifold insulators/plenum spacers are generally not made out of wood. Well the mace ones for instance aren't. A high temp low conductivity composite material is often used. I'm yet to come across one made out of wood.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Wood can be a composite material. And a low conductivity one at that. Cant say much for how temperature resistant it would be though.

i've said it before ill say it again, the fact they look like a peice of mdf has never filled me with confidence.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Manifold insulators/plenum spacers are generally not made out of wood. Well the mace ones for instance aren't. A high temp low conductivity composite material is often used. I'm yet to come across one made out of wood.

There IS a member on here who has made one out of ply wood. Can't remember his name though

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Cant say much for how temperature resistant it would be though.

I'd say.....bad. With wood being prone to burn/catch fire.