Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best mods for vt v6?

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
To all the "get a V8 cos 6's are way too slow" I say come race my $3000 4cyl bike and i'll show you fast!!
As for modding a 6, I had a vs and this is what I did to make it a "fun" but not ballistic car.
2nd hand extractors and 2.5" cat back, bigger Tb, roller rockers, manifold insulator, CAi, chip, manual conversion, 2nd hand lsd, low (not sl or ssl or anything stupid) king springs and shocks, some bushes (wish I did all, not just some) and a bunch of weight reduction.

I got a 14.9@93mph at willowbank with this, which is not crazy, but it handled pretty well, would spin wheels through 1st & 2nd and was way more responsive than std commodores which is what I wanted.
And it cost me under $5000 including buying the car.

Oh, and at willowbank I went up against a vy ss (who did a 14.7) and I smashed him off the line!!!!

1/ come race my shopping trolley with rocket boosters and il show you fast!

2/ Your best E.T and his worst E.T

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
[/B]

2/ Your best E.T and his worst E.T

yeah maybe, but doesn't change the fact that he was driving a lard arse v8 and my lighter v6 would have him off the mark every time, which on the street is where it counts!!!

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
To all the "get a V8 cos 6's are way too slow" I say come race my $3000 4cyl bike and i'll show you fast!!

As for modding a 6, I had a vs and this is what I did to make it a "fun" but not ballistic car.
2nd hand extractors and 2.5" cat back, bigger Tb, roller rockers, manifold insulator, CAi, chip, manual conversion, 2nd hand lsd, low (not sl or ssl or anything stupid) king springs and shocks, some bushes (wish I did all, not just some) and a bunch of weight reduction.

I got a 14.9@93mph at willowbank with this, which is not crazy, but it handled pretty well, would spin wheels through 1st & 2nd and was way more responsive than std commodores which is what I wanted.
And it cost me under $5000 including buying the car.

Oh, and at willowbank I went up against a vy ss (who did a 14.7) and I smashed him off the line!!!!

I've bolded most of the crap in that post.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yeah maybe, but doesn't change the fact that he was driving a lard arse v8 and my lighter v6 would have him off the mark every time, which on the street is where it counts!!!

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
my v6 ute will bitch-slap my ss off the mark and ive done nothing too it.. the v6's are a good little unit, heaps of squirt off the mark, but ya cant brag about your fully built v6 pipping a std v8 off the mark. V8s arnt out there to win races, theyr a nostalgic culture.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
thats right...V8s aren't out there to win races... they just WIN.

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Best mods to a V6;

Do all the bushes(castor bushes/big ones at the front will improve braking so much more in an old Commo for the least amount of effort and money)

King springs front/rear + Shocks to suit springs(anything lower than stock will need to have the camber fixed, get some adjustable castor bushes for the front, not entirely sure on the rears but I believe there is a camber correction kit available. They make special shocks for the shorter springs if you choose to lower)

New rotors for the front, possibly rear(not sure on JC's thoughts on drilled/slotted)

MACE chip or similar(cheap, easy to fix, gear changes are a bit smoother)

If the drivers seat is cactus, get a new/2nd hand one first
Dash mat(not "cool", but it's a damn fine way to spend $40 if you plan to drive when the sun is up)

Heard some things about the CAI, better to just cut the snorkel open and leave it as is, save yourself $300

Regular services, oil every 5000km or so in the city, fuel filter every 5-10,000km, air filter whenever it's dirty
Spark plugs/new leads if they are stock

Do all the hoses ASAP if they look a bit soft, and do the heater tap before it corrodes and cooks your engine(be careful of the 2 hoses leading into the firewall, heard they can damage the heater core and make it leak if you pull too hard etc)

Transmission service if it's got a fair few km on it

Drain and flush the cooling system, keep the glycol about 50%:50% water.

Bigger tyres, 245/45 17's are a nice size, slightly wider than stock for a bitmore grip. Downside is the rubber is more expensive. If you're keeping the steels, chuck some Bridgestone "Supercats" on and call it a day.

Cat-back exhaust, cheap off ebay. Easy to install, just remove the rubber mounts(you'll need a screwdriver for the little clip and possibly a rag to slide them off. Or cut them off, they are only $5-8 each). Extractors are optional, mixed reviews about them.

Probably more, like 1.9:1/1.98:1 roller rockers, check the power steering and replace it if it's leaking badly, etc. They have enough power to have some fun in, good fun on dirt roads. If you want a V8, buy an unregistered one and use it as a track car, not too much point driving an 8 in the city. On the highway they get slightly better economy than the 6 from memory, but it's your money. The Commodore loves the extra steering + throttle in and out of corners, just need to be quick with the wheel. The whole "handles like a boat" thing comes from either **** drivers or it being too low with bunk camber lol

Last edited:

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim

So let me get this straight, bigger throttle body is crap? seemed to make the engine lots more responsive which I thought was rather good
Manual conversion is crap??? more fun to drive, far more control than the auto, better fuel economy than the auto, more power to the rear wheels than the auto, suppose they are all crap!!
sorting out the stock suspension a bit, well that is just stupid of me isn't it now, not crap.
imagine saying that a car with bigger tyres, less weight and better suspension than std handled pretty well. let me clean up the crap that is dribbling out of my mouth everywhere and sorry for the smell.

The OP asked the question "I just bought a stock vt v6 for my first car and was just looking for ideas on what mods i should start with? any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks", how crap of me to try to answer the question from my experiences

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
If you want to learn about CAI then search mighty car mods on YouTube,you get more power out of a factory then a CAI

It's funny how the convo went from what's the best mods for a v6 then to get a v8 cause a v6 is a slug then growing a beard now back to mods lol

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
So let me get this straight, bigger throttle body is crap?

A bigger throttle body improves responsiveness and theoretically would increase top end by permitting more air to enter(combined with a bigger MAF and the correct tune, the injectors would automatically handle the extra fuel up until 100% throttle, or redline(which could be increased in the PCM, plus the associated valve train mods)

However, the larger TB would require a retune, and it'd be more touchy because of the increased opening diameter per push. Wouldn't be as fun in the wet until you got used to the responsiveness, but if it's the OPs first car, it should be somewhere down the bottom of the list.