Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Oil for 2001 SS LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
Hi all,

Thinking about doing an oil change on my 2001 SS Ute, the car is only driven rarely (2 -3 times per year) and has low kilometres. The handbook says to use 10w30 but I have had a look online and every website says something different. Is this the correct oil? Also I'm gathering you would use semi synthetic too.

Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Penrite HPR5 (5w40) or Penrite full synthetic 10w40 is what I'm using now in my stock LS1 long motor (apart from cam, lifters, springs and push rods)

Which one I buy is based off cost, I only buy my oils and other servicing consumables when they go on special, my garage has enough oils, filters, and other random stuff for at least 2 engine oil changes, a brake flush, a diff oil change, a coolant flush, and a powersteering flush, all just waiting to get a run when time or km dictate

I've only got a litre of trans fluid for top ups, I got it maybe 2 years ago but have never used a drop, I do get my transmission serviced/flushed by Craigs yearly though

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU II SS Ute
Yeah I think I am going to go for Castrol or Valvoline 10W30 Semi Synthetic to be safe.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Penrite or Nulon synthetic, hard to go wrong. Manufacturer specs were based on economy, depending on kms moving to a 40 weight makes up for slightly looser tolerances in the bearings. 150k+ IMO

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I used to run penrite hpr10 which is 10w50 in my old vx LS1 and was good, oil preference’s is one of those things where if you ask 10 people you’ll likely get 10 different answers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all,

Thinking about doing an oil change on my 2001 SS Ute, the car is only driven rarely (2 -3 times per year) and has low kilometres. The handbook says to use 10w30 but I have had a look online and every website says something different. Is this the correct oil? Also I'm gathering you would use semi synthetic too.

Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.

This website will just add to those different oils unfortunately

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Castrol Edge 5-30 or 5-40 whenever its is on special blended with Lucas stabilizer. Bob the oil guy probably hates me.... I agree 10w-40 is probably a better fit for older LS1's but im a creature of habit...lol