Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Intermittent Valve Train Noise - High Km - Oil Type

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
I have got my VY SS LS1 Auto Commodore running after buying it in pieces and almost 2 years of not running.
The engine came out to do all the gaskets and seals.

Have driven roughly 500 ks since the engine has gone back in.
I have noticed a ticking/ knocking noise that comes and goes.
In the three or four times it happened it always started when cruising on the open road or motorway.
Can be heard inside the car and heard in the exhaust sound, after giving it a few revs it goes away.
Thinking that it is lifter noise and likely related to oil / oil pressure due to only coming on at low RPM.
Have included a video of the noise. Any thoughts?

The car currently has some 10w-30 in it, can't exactly remember, whatever was on the shelf.
The car and engine have 330,000 ks on the clock so it must be getting tired.
From what I've read this oil is too thin and Penrite 10 tenths or Castrol edge 10w-60 is a better option for high ks.
Also should note I have never had the oil pressure light come on.

Should this higher-viscosity oil reduce noise or have I potentially got a more serious problem?
Thanks in advance

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I probably wouldn't go much higher than a 40 weight in my honest opinion. A 60 weight seems a little to high.

Check oil pressure with an oil gauge, start it up cold and let it get hot, so check hot and cold pressure.

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
I probably wouldn't go much higher than a 40 weight in my honest opinion. A 60 weight seems a little to high.

Check oil pressure with an oil gauge, start it up cold and let it get hot, so check hot and cold pressure.
Seems contradictory to what else I've read but I understand it, it does seem thick for a street car.
Will look into the oil pressure testing, any idea where to test oil pressure? The oil pressure sensor is a prick to get at on the back of the intake.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Seems contradictory to what else I've read but I understand it, it does seem thick for a street car.
Will look into the oil pressure testing, any idea where to test oil pressure? The oil pressure sensor is a prick to get at on the back of the intake.

Yea it is a prick but that's where you test.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is a port if u get the right fitting above the filter, same place HSV fitted the oil pressure sender

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Id stay with 10w 30 and use an additive . Pour the additive and oil in at the same time so you dont end up with a big blob sitting in the sump.... not sure if it will quieten the engine...but it will give some extra protection...

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I have got my VY SS LS1 Auto Commodore running after buying it in pieces and almost 2 years of not running.
The engine came out to do all the gaskets and seals.

Were the heads pulled to do the head gaskets? If so were the lifters (and buckets) replaced and lifter preload checked when you did all the gaskets?

It’s possible that the geometry between the lifter and the rocker arm has been changed if the head gaskets were replaced so the preload on the lifters might be out (pushrods too short or too long).