Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil for transmission service and oil for normal service

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wonder where a lifetime fill perception came from if a trans service is shown in the service manual?
As kinda mentioned above I think the life expectancy is around 150k, and which GM would have wanted us to upgrade by then and not hang onto our cars and fix them when they become expensive to do so.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have you been driving your MSE? :cool:
I do have a non Holden daily and have also had a few other brands i have used as daily runabout over the years. But no dealer has ever discussed my driving habits and whether a regular or severe schedule would be more appropriate :oops:

As to the MSE, there have been a few things that needed to be resolved under warranty, the worst being the diff having to be replaced due to a bad whine somewhere between 80-100kph:eek:

Just back and forth to the dealer for warranty claims. :eek:
and service :p:p:p it’s the most over serviced Holden ever :oops:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
150k is too long regardless, full syn only lasts about 65-70k.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Hi.
I did a transmission service at 40 Thousand km. When the car was still under warranty as I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong.
The dealer told me that it would be due at 110 thousand km.
My Redline is ten years old now and has only 87 thousand K on in.
It is just pease of mind.
PS: I used all genuine parts and oil.
I did a transmission flush @ 1500km complimentary service on my 2020 Colorado. Who knows how long transmissions sit in warehouses waiting to go into vehicles after they've been manufactured. Especially during covid.

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
As kinda mentioned above I think the life expectancy is around 150k, and which GM would have wanted us to upgrade by then and not hang onto our cars and fix them when they become expensive to do so.
Are transmissions known to blow in a lot of cases?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’ve got a video in this thread of clunk sounds I’m getting what are your thoughts on it?
Don't know mate sorry, I don't trust my guessometer. Best to see a decent trans shop and get a proper diagnosis.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
When a transmission dies in older cars, in many cases the cars are junked because it’s not worth rebuilding the transmission when considering the vehicle‘s prior value… In that context, by definition it has lasted the life of the car :eek::oops::p
I'm going back a few years now, but the Chrysler/Mitsubishi service schedule for the trans in the early '80's was 48,000km's. I'd always considered that 50,000km's was a good interval to optimally service the trans.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
This is the video I put up, I am taking off throttle and then pressing down quickly to amplify the clunk noise while driving. Any ideas what it could be? Mechanic has checked engine mounts etc everything is tight
Clunking sounds are hard to diagnose from a video

But, it "could" be:
Broken or loose engine or transmission mounts,
tail shaft couplings, centre bearing or uni joints, diff slap, suspension bushings, exhaust hangers, or even a clearance issue somewhere with the exhaust

Take someone for a drive with all the windows down and ask them where they think the sound is coming from, do this going forward, and then reverse, then have them stand outside the car and listen

Once you dial in where the noise is coming from you can jack up the car and put it on stands and remove the wheels to inspect the suspension, tail shaft, drive shafts and CV joints for play or damage, inspect everything and give everything a good shake and optic nerve

You can use a pry bar on the bushings to look for play

If this isn't possible because you don't have the equipment, take it to a "good" workshop and get them to diagnose the issue

Importantly, don't keep driving the car until you have diagnosed the issue as you can make things much worse