Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best possible oil to use in alloytec v6 in summer temperatures ?

Shmick vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz s ute.
Hey all ive viewed this site for quite a few months as a geust and decided it was time i signed up. Im appreciate if any one could tell me the best possible oil that i could use in my alloytec itll be changed every 7500 ks and price isnt a problem im after best protection and performance for my engine in temps from 30-40 over summer thanks :)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Wondering why you're dumping the oil at 7,500km?? What sort of driving?

In previous (old generation) V6 cars I never wavered from Penrite HPR 30 for long distance freeway/country driving. However, my understanding is that Alloytecs have specific oil requirements (Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 is widely used). That's all they put in mine last Friday from bulk service barrel. "Good for 12,000!", said the Techie.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
12000k's in the alloytec any you will be needing a new engine within 5yrs... heaps at the engine wreckers here from failing to maintain regular servicing...
i do mine every 5-7500max

i use pentire hpr 10 all year round...
air temps dont change oil temps dramatically

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Any grade oil, suited to your requirements will be fine, temp wise that is. Especially at that interval of changing you can get away with anything but the cheapest of the cheap. Even then it would be fine to use if you run diesel oil, the old school stuff not the stuff for modern diesels, to clean any of the junk it leaves in there every 20-50,000kms.

Personally I do that with my Crewman, change oil every 10,000 km (I use very high quiality now but didnt always) then every 30,000 km I drop it and run diesel for 5,000 km and I dont have a single problem engine wise.

The main thing you need to remember is not to let it get too old, stinks and is usually thick, because then it wont do its job. And always use the right weight for the conditions. In Darwin 10w/40 and 15w/40 is used fairly regularly, not entirely sure about the rest of Australia but if I remember correctly its used almost Australia-wide during summers.

Hope that will help you.

imoore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV ute
i use Nulon Fast flowing syn 10W40 and service it every 5000ks. any more than 10000ks and the eng will start to sludge up. Also id recomend that you use a synthetic oil.

ADR 40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina..... VEII Equipe Sportswagon
I use Penrite Everyday Full Synthetic 5W-50, good in my region where temps in summer can go in the mid 40’s.
The same oil also comes in a 10W-40 grade.
As mentioned Nulon make a fine product too.
Penrite & Nulon (both companies are Australian owned and made) have a technical assistance contact numbers on their websites, as do with all oil companies.
They’re very good at helping with more specific applications for your needs.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
everyone's going to have their own opinions, their own brands they stick too for various reasons

But yeh nothing wrong with 7500kays. I do mine every 5 000 kays now. Dont need to but why not!

Shmick vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz s ute.
Thanks guys for all ur help id heard alot of good things about the nulon full synth 10-40 also been told that castrol edge 5-30 goes great wat are ur opinions on edge? Also i assume ur talking about the old school high detergent diesel oils? Id love to give that a try what diesel oils would be best to use as ivr only heard bad things bout using injector cleaner etc to clean engine.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Basically anything, if your worried go into a car shop, ie autobarn or supercheap and ask for diesel oil that wont poison a catalytic convertor. That is the only real concern with it.
It doesnt need to be overly expensive oil for it. I can try find what I usually use if you want, but I know my friend uses the repco brand stuff and his runs almost as good as my car (main reason it doesnt is he cant drive well at all and has caused a few problems of his own).

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
For average driving (for which the Commodore was designed)stick with the recommendations by Holden as found in the Owner's Handbook. You won't go wrong. Holden does not make any specific recommendation for chnaging oil specifications during hot weather/summer months.