Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best size stall suit 230 cam ?

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
hey all, im looking at stalls. i was thinking 3000rpm to 3500 rpm stall ? best suggests ?

list of my engine mods...also its vq caprice, box is 700r4/th700.

crane cams 230

10:1 comp

new hdy lifters

new timing chain

jp timing gears

cam bearings

new bottom end

40 thou flat tops

new chrome molly rings

bigger valves has been done, ported heads been done

bigger throttle body

bigger injectors

pacemakers extractors

2 high flow cats into 2.5 inch exhaust (changing to 3 inch)

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
3000 rpm stall should be plenty for a 230 cam.
In saying that ide aim for 3200rpm so its working in the cam straight off the bat.
Any larger than that and your throwing away RPM and losing drive at lower RPM that could be used.
Just dont forget to put an inline trans cooler on as well and get the biggest size you can, its a must.

Has the trans been beefed up, new heavy duty Sprags and sun shell?
They are a good trans but i wouldnt go shift kitting it with that engine combo without strengthening it up a bit.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
So, when you say Crane 230, you are talking about the duration? So it's the Crane 286 you're talking about...The specs say the cam starts making power at 2500Rpm, generally you add 500Rpm to that to get the stall speed required, that way by the time the converter comes on stall the cam is already in it's powerband. I'd go no bigger than 3000rpm, especially if you're still running the standard manifold.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Yep, its a Compucam H286

2500-5500 rpm.

So doesnt produce alot of RPM being hydrualic but would go great with a 3000RPM convertor.

Really only has a 2500 RPM powerband with that cam and a 3000RPM stall but would pull great straight off the mark with a 3k stall.

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
all good guys, i was expecting 3000 stall anyway for street. 3500 is bit too much and run like ****. yeah running standard manifold for now, cant go hi plane my cam is too small. will upgrade 264/268 cam once i get 383 stroker kit. and also, yes its 286 its a part number, so the cam is 230.

my auto is pretty stock, will be full manual once i get the stall. i heard if i run stock stall in my auto with 230 cam will break my box and stall?

vscaprice98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice
if cam works from 2500 a stall that fully locks at 2500 would be more practicale u need to look at ur usable torque off the mark if u go past the useable torque of the mark u dont make as good power off the mark with the useable torque to launch ur car u start losing off the mark to u pick up i would recomend the converter shop stall in wynum brisbane with giving the cam specs to them and custom build the stall to suit u would find it works alot more practice