Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Value For Money Amp?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Hi all,

Im looking at getting an amp to power my new splits. What do you guys thing is the best value for money amp on the market (cheaper the better), i don't have much cash at all. Id prefer one that is small in size as it needs to fit in my ute.
The thing is, my splits still go fairly hard running off the head unit, but it does'nt quite give it that punch that i want.
So yeah, best value for money 2 channel amp?

Cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What model speakers are they? Is the splits all the amp is going to power? What is your budget? Do you need a wiring kit too?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
They are Fusion 240W Splits. Yes i only want to power the splits. I was'nt planning on spending over $100. Yes i will need a wiring kit

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Guys,

If i do end up buying an amp, will it allow me to have my bass boosters turned up without distorting? It distorts when i turn on the bass booster while running off the head unit.
Does an amplifier enhance the bass as well as volume?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Do not turn the bass booster up / on at all, most of the time this can cause the head-unit to distort at high volume levels and no matter how good your speakers are they'll still be distorting because the head-unit is sending them a distorted signal.

If you want more bass, turn the bass level up to just under the maximum, if thats not enough or the speakers start to distort, get another set of speakers and / or a amplifier. It will allow them to play louder and generally more bass.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You will get more bass when you amp the speakers. Currently your running off the H/U that puts out roughly 20wrms and your gonna feed them about 60wrms, that means all frequencies including mid-bass. You won't get bass from splits, but you will get mid-bass, you want real bass than you need subs or at least 6x9s.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Where is the best place to mount an amp in a ute?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Where is the best place to mount an amp in a ute?

You don't have too many mounting options. Either underneath, of behind the seats, you will find to be the most common places...
As the others have said, you won't get bass from your splits,regardless of whether or not you amplify them. Put simply, they are not designed to produce low Hz frequencies. Running them at full pass will give you their full frequency producing capabilities, but at the same time won't allow you to play them at higher volume levels. Running them on a HPF(high pass filter) will eliminate the low Hz frequencies being sent to them, and will allow you to play them at a higher volume level. If you after detailed bass reproduction, then a sub is your only option.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Righto, i have narrowed it down to either an Alpine V-Power amp OR a Sony Xplod amp. Which one is better quality?