Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to prime a Oil Pump after its been installed in a LS1 ..5.7

kangaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VU SS Ute.....2007 VE SS Sedan
Update.....
got it to start pumping then all of a sudden the Tapping noise came back..
i am thinking the O ring cant be sealing now......did put a new one in when i did the new pump...
One more go tommorow and if that dont work i will be removing the engine and sumps to see why....
dont know what else to try..
getting frustrated with it now....:)

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I suppose the real question is: Why did you replace the oil pump in the first place?

Could it be possible that the oil pump wasn't the problem and whatever was the problem is still present? Is the pickup screen gunked-up or the tube cracked above the oil level? Is the relief valve opening early/sticking? Do you have some mechanical problem causing the loss of pressure (bearings/lifters/etc.)?

Being an LS1 I assume it doesn't have AFM/DOD or VVT (both of which operate off oil pressure)? Did you buy the correct pump (the oil pumps for AFM engines are physically interchangeable but are higher pressure, possibly activating your lower pressure relief valve)?

Andrew

kangaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VU SS Ute.....2007 VE SS Sedan
Sump...1.jpg
Ok,,, after romoving the Motor and pulling off the sump... found a Blockage
i run a Motor Clean thru it 3 monthes before ... but had no signs of any blockage
seema Like it is all going well now.... but time will Tell.... thanks for everyones input
:)

liam hollywood

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
im having the same problem with my vu just put the engine in all done corectly i expected a little bit of a rattle for a few seconds it just got worse over 30 sec ifilled it through yhe oil pressure sensor and bung to give it a deacent chance i just didnt want to damage an expensive engine

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition, Series 2 LS3, 6 Speed manual
Hi All
Have just put a Mellings Oil Pump into my Car ( VU ute ) and have whacked it all back together..
let it turn a few times without fuel Relay in..
then kicked it over..
but turned back off after 5 secs as no oil Preasure and top was noisy...
Just been reading that you need to prime it..
just wanted to know the best way to do it without having to rip it all apart again. if Possible

Thanks ...
I didn't realise that they needed priming... I never primed mine on my LS1s...
what I did do though was fill them up at least halfway with oil before I put them on