Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way to remove silastic from gasket surfaces ?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
What is the best way to remove silastic/ultra blue sealant from metal surfaces ? Will gasket stripper remove the silastic as well ? Some surfaces can be too soft to scrape and the silastic tend to fill pourous surfaces making it hard to get out. Thanks ;) Trying to clean up an old Vn engine.

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
I haven't got a solution for ya mate, sorry, but i'd like to know the answer too.
I'm looking to get some sikaflex off my paintwork, where the door mould was. Was wondering if there's some other way of doing it without a caramel wheel.
cheers,
-Tom

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yeah , gasket stripper will do it. If you know gasket stripper as well as you know your oils it often contains methylene chloride which is paint stripper, which will get anything off !! A red scotchbrite pad works wonders also

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
yeah , gasket stripper will do it. If you know gasket stripper as well as you know your oils it often contains methylene chloride which is paint stripper, which will get anything off !! A red scotchbrite pad works wonders also

lol, thanks greenacc. Yes i realised it was a paint stripper as well as there are warnings on the cans usually, but i did not know how effective it was at removing silastic sealants. THanks ;)

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I haven't got a solution for ya mate, sorry, but i'd like to know the answer too.
I'm looking to get some sikaflex off my paintwork, where the door mould was. Was wondering if there's some other way of doing it without a caramel wheel.
cheers,
-Tom

Sikalfex can be hard to remove, i think its mechanical remove only if you read the datasheet on it. I bought some few months ago to glue my side strips on. Try fishing wire. It was recommended to me on the Detailers Paradise Forum, the detailers claimed it glued well and easy to remove when needed. so go on there and they will tell you how to take it off.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I always use the old style Gillete razor blades to scrape as they are flexible and can be skimmed along the surface. Abit of brake cleaner or wax n grease remover can usually dissolve the goo.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Petrol disolves silicone. Or you could scrape it off with a razor blade. I use a wood work chisel on steel. On alloy it tends to take the alloy with it .