Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beware of doors self locking with keys inside

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Should it autolock with the key inside a press of the drivers door button will surely unlock it, as the transponder is in range??
That's what i was thinking. Proximity button makes locking your keys in the car impossible...? Mine opens when key is about 1.5metres away.

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
That's what i was thinking. Proximity button makes locking your keys in the car impossible...? Mine opens when key is about 1.5metres away.
I have on only a couple of occasions over the last few months experienced the proximity function was not detected outside the locked car, requiring the key door unlock button on the fob to be pushed (before resorted to the key fob unlock button I had tried first to open each door but no sensing occurred).
On the lockout day the key fob was unusually in the center of the car on the console lid, hence, in theory, any door would have been normally in range and yes the car should not have locked - the windows were up and the RACQ used a heavy wire to first try pressing the passenger side door unlock button (which did not unlock the door) - they needed to use that wire to pull that internal handle open. RACQ said if it had 'deadlocked' then he would not have been able to unlock the doors (see this user feature in manual).
My key fob works fine 'normally', but, considering other posts, maybe the key fob was playing up rather than the problem being the car's electronics or alternatively the proximity sensor in the car has been intermittently playing up (does not explain why the horn did not 'beep once' on locking). Hindsight, if you like the auto locking feature as I do, should the key fob's proximity function not operate 100% of the time don't take the keys out of your pocket. Just a small glitch to be aware of in a great car with features that in most part function well.

Last edited:

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Best don't leave your main key inside your ride period!! Mine stays in me pocket
;)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Ute
I had this happen a year or so ago on my Series 1 VF SSV ute.

I had to get someone to drive me 13km home (and back) to get the spare key.

It also started playing up a lot shortly afterwards, not unlocking with the remote sometimes, which caused the alarm to go off when i opened it with the key, and i had to put the key in the hole in the centre console to shut up the alarm and start the engine.

Turns out the batteries in both remotes were stuffed. And unlike a lot of cars with expensive key remotes with non replaceable batteries, the battery cover easily pries off, and it has a standard 3v battery which is sold in many supermarkets.

The batteries are 3v, i checked them with a multimetre, and they said about 2.9v, which I assumed (wrongly) was near enough to fully charged. Turns out the new ones were about 3.1/3.2v, and immediately fixed the problem.

I also had it at a dealership for them to fix, (admitedly I did tell them that I had checked the battery charge and it was OK), but they never figured out what the problem was.

Ever since then, I have had to try and get in the habit of leaving them in my pocket.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have on only a couple of occasions over the last few months experienced the proximity function was not detected outside the locked car, requiring the key door unlock button on the fob to be pushed (before resorted to the key fob unlock button I had tried first to open each door but no sensing occurred).
On the lockout day the key fob was unusually in the center of the car on the console lid, hence, in theory, any door would have been normally in range and yes the car should not have locked - the windows were up and the RACQ used a heavy wire to first try pressing the passenger side door unlock button (which did not unlock the door) - they needed to use that wire to pull that internal handle open. RACQ said if it had 'deadlocked' then he would not have been able to unlock the doors (see this user feature in manual).
My key fob works fine 'normally', but, considering other posts, maybe the key fob was playing up rather than the problem being the car's electronics or alternatively the proximity sensor in the car has been intermittently playing up (does not explain why the horn did not 'beep once' on locking). Hindsight, if you like the auto locking feature as I do, should the key fob's proximity function not operate 100% of the time don't take the keys out of your pocket. Just a small glitch to be aware of in a great car with features that in most part function well.
Have you tried replacing the battery?

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Thanks for the thought 426Cuda - button cell battery tested (3.02V) OK and the remote operates from a long distance, hence assumed fine for now (expect the cell battery would last for well over 12 months low use and when stored well away from the car (as the case for my last VE/VF)). The facts that the doors didn't give the warning beeps when I closed the last door at the event exit (rear wagon door was closed) and later no single horn beep occurred when unwanted locking occurred seems to indicate something other than 'normal'; also that the VF car sensor has (to date) intermittently not sensed the remote within or near the car. Other likely warning signs are that now and then it has given a double horn beep for no apparent reason just after I turn off the car engine, while still in the driver's seat (keys in my pocket) and also the self re-setting of my set mylink options after the lock out event.
I have a scheduled service due early 2018 when I will raise these unwanted experiences with the dealer (likely fault won't do it for them but who knows GMH may be aware of the issue by then or see an error code log).
Most wisely the keys won't be on purpose trusted to be left in the car when no-one is inside or I am away from access to the spare set.

Last edited: