Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest aftermarket wheel sizes for a VF Commodore.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've seen 265 on an 8" rim but looked terrible just way too baggy.
You could get away with a 255 but the best by far is the std 245.
BTW not all 245's are the same, especially in relation to carcass and tread width.
If you can get the complete specs on any given tyre its only the rolling diameter that stays the same between brands.
You can have a narrow carcass with a wide tread and visa versa a baggy carcass with skinny tread or the best scenario both a wide carcass and wide tread as in the case of my Continental 275's.

308hjute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
yea, thanks for quick replies guys. Wateva homework I did tells me to stick with 20's and enjoy the ride. I have decided 20's. I would go 9" in front and 10" rear with the tyres you have suggested. Should I be worried about the rear 10" wide wheels later? Because I have plans to lower the car on some coilovers as a next project. I am trying to source a nice pair of 20" Forgiato rims from US. (like in the pic).

180511d1446292378t-biggest-aftermarket-wheel-sizes-vf-commodore-forgiato-maschili-dl-custom-painted-4.jpg

R1RnDZb.gif

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
Hahaha hahaha

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I've got 20 by 8 HSVi rims on my redline but still want the staggered tyre setup, what's the widest tyre that can go on an 8in rims?

The widest tyre for the 20 x 8 inch wheel is that stipulated by the manufacturer for the brand, model and size you are looking at. If you fit an unapproved tyre size to your wheels you have instantly made your car technically unroadworthy with all the implications that carries. (Competent tyre dealers with a reputation to protect won't fit unapproved tyre sizes to your wheels in any event. The clowns will put on anything you want to sell you a tyre).

Given you have 20 x 8 inch wheels the correct tyre size is 245 35 20. If you go to a wider 255 35 20 , (also a slightly larger diameter tyre), you will find that most manufacturers approve the 8.5 inch wheel as the minimum width for that tyre size so you cannot fit it on an 8 inch wheel as it is not an approved rim width. Same with anything wider again.

If you want staggered you will need to look at a new wheel set if you want to keep your car roadworthy (unless you can find a 255 35 20 tyre model that the manufacturer has approved for an 8 inch wide wheel). Whatever tyres you choose always check the manufacturer approved rim widths for that tyre size and model.

Gaz82h

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve berlina
20x8 genuine supersport rim rear sssl spring front ssl springs wat is the largest tyre size will i fit under it no scrubbing

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The widest tyre for the 20 x 8 inch wheel is that stipulated by the manufacturer for the brand, model and size you are looking at. If you fit an unapproved tyre size to your wheels you have instantly made your car technically unroadworthy with all the implications that carries. (Competent tyre dealers with a reputation to protect won't fit unapproved tyre sizes to your wheels in any event. The clowns will put on anything you want to sell you a tyre).

Given you have 20 x 8 inch wheels the correct tyre size is 245 35 20. If you go to a wider 255 35 20 , (also a slightly larger diameter tyre), you will find that most manufacturers approve the 8.5 inch wheel as the minimum width for that tyre size so you cannot fit it on an 8 inch wheel as it is not an approved rim width. Same with anything wider again.

If you want staggered you will need to look at a new wheel set if you want to keep your car roadworthy (unless you can find a 255 35 20 tyre model that the manufacturer has approved for an 8 inch wide wheel). Whatever tyres you choose always check the manufacturer approved rim widths for that tyre size and model.
Given he’s in NSW, he uses the widest available fitment for his model of car (not trim-level, model, ie. Commodore) & is allowed 1” wider. Redlines came with 8.5” and 9.5” didn’t they? And I’m about 99% sure in NSW the HSV’s are treated as a Commodore by the RMS (what’s their max wheel width?).

ratsmow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro
I've got a real nice set of Vossens on mine. 20" rims, 9" front 10" rear (I know a few other guys with the 10.5" rear) 255/35 front and 275/35 rears (continentals off the HSV'S)... Looks **** hot, rides nice
I'd like to see those Vossen rims if you can post a pic.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Given he’s in NSW, he uses the widest available fitment for his model of car (not trim-level, model, ie. Commodore) & is allowed 1” wider. Redlines came with 8.5” and 9.5” didn’t they? And I’m about 99% sure in NSW the HSV’s are treated as a Commodore by the RMS (what’s their max wheel width?).
redlines are 8.5 rears and 9.0 rears.
As for biggest wheels, depends if you want legal or not legal, if you want diameter or width, if you have big brakes or you want your wheels inside the gaurds.
I just brought a set of koyas and they have been a pleasure to deal with, find a wheel design you like on there website, a colour you likeand tell them what car it is and they will tell you what can fit or not and if it will be in the guards and if the gaurds will need rolling.
One of the biggest set ups ive seen is a maloo that goes by r8t3d, he runs a koya sf11 20x10 front and 20x11 rear
37604355_211074592910409_6146685425684578304_n-1.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
redlines are 8.5 rears and 9.0 rears.
OK ta. I just checked a random HSV of similar age (2014 GTS), and it got the 8.5" front & 9.5" rear, could be what I was thinking of.

As for biggest wheels, depends if you want legal or not legal
The context of what you quoth from me was legality, the OP was talking about driveability though … so avoiding tramlining & rubbing would probably be the two biggies.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
OK ta. I just checked a random HSV of similar age (2014 GTS), and it got the 8.5" front & 9.5" rear, could be what I was thinking of.

The context of what you quoth from me was legality, the OP was talking about driveability though … so avoiding tramlining & rubbing would probably be the two biggies.
if thats the case offset is the biggest factor of all, conservative offset (45p and above) with any wheel around the 9.5 to 10.5 size will keep you inside the guards, but that being said, its one thing to have big wide wheels but if they are all the way under the guards, its not ever going to look as good as when the correct offset is used! Best example of that is the stock 19 inch redline wheels vs 19 inch wheels on a amg c63, the redline wheels are so far under the car while the amgs are pushed out to sit almost flush.
Resized_20181106_110758.jpeg
amg.jpg