Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bit more class for the VY

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Holllla!

Because i've spoken to three different holden dealers and all of them consistently fail to be any help, i've decided to log in again! I've got afew things i want to do and would just like to hear from anyone who's undergone the same thing

1) I'd like to change the grill on my VY II acclaim, Is the Calais grill built with the chrome strip on the bonnet, or do i buy it seperately? And if i were to buy a Calais grill would it fit despite having the standard front bar. And how about the Berlina grill?

2) Leather steering wheel, auto shifter and handbrake lever i believe are all simple straight swaps to the yucky plastic variants?

3) Changing cluster! I want Berlina or Calais or HSV cluster instead of the standard exec looking one. Got 3 different responses from different Holden dealers. One said you cant do it, second says you need a different computer, third said it can cost between $126.50 - sky is the limit. All of which are no help. Has anyone got a more accurate $ figure so i can work out if its worth doing? My cluster is at 115kkm i think ive read that being above 100kkm more is involved

Cheers people

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
1.calais grille and berlina grille will not fit. ( i am in the process of modifying my exec grille if you would like a picture)
2. changing to a leather steering wheel is not so easy all the plastics is pretty straight forward
3. diff cluster costs how eva much the cluster costs every cluster be it clais or hsv is a diff cost and i dont see why it should be diff over 100kms but u may need a different loom for the cluster to work and holden should be able to change it to the correct kms

Cal.oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Pathfinder
with the cluster, I picked up a new HSV one for around 500 bucks from Holmart. I am hoping phreddy will be coming through Canberra soon to get the LEDs changed and get the cluster put in.
You also need to make sure that you get the same series cluster that your car is ie. series one cluster for series one car, series 2 cluster for series 2 otherwise your fuel and temp gauges will work in reverse.
You will also need to get a tech 2 to program your cluster to the klms currently on your car. YOu can only do this before your cluster goes over 100klm apparently (although I have heard different somewhere)

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
not that hard to change your steering wheel and plastics

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm into leather.....

Bugger it - wrong thread again. Moved to the right place.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Steering wheel would be a strait swap, just make sure u disconnect the Batt before u change it.

Same with the Cluster, make sure the one u have has a grey connector, if its a blue it wont work. (VY grey - VZ blue)

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Yeah but the guy at Holden said at the sky is the limit, but starting price is one hour labour for $126~. I dont want to pay $200 for a cluster and find out after they've fixed it up for me that they want $300 or something stupid

So has anyone had a chance to do this? My cluster is above 100kkm, wouldnt know why that would make a difference?

How are you modifiying the front bar dude? Wouldnt it be easier to grab a berlina bar or calais bar and fit it straight up?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
im not changing the whole car just the grille :)

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
i should have pics by friday lol which is tomorrow