Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black bonnet on a white VS

NeilVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VX Executive V6
Cheers for your input guys. Helped me make up my mind- don't do it. Yet. I'll get a body kit, lower it (insurance may be an issue here but), and then see how I feel.
alexp36, thanks for taking the liberty of photoshopping me that pic. If I magage to get home before dark one day (grrr) I'll do the same with mine.

As for the spoiler - I love it. But yes, VS commy's looks awesome without them, no denying it.

Thanks again.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well my friend had his car defected with a fibre glass monaro bonnet in NSW.... and I said panels and bonnet... NOT BODY KITS.....

So basically its legal to have a fibreglass bonnet? well go ahead but u would have 2 b an idiot as it would compromise safety "crumple" zones of your car....... if youve ever seen a damaged fibre glass rear or front bar you will notice it shatteres into pieces..... very sharp pieces whereas a metal bonnet "Folds" and absorbs the impact.... I would assume being a safety feature it would be illegal to remove (same as airbags etc).....

Can I see a link (if poss) for the SA site that says its legal plz thnx..

The monaro bonnet may not have been as its fibreglass. For instance in SA, it is illegal to have forward facing bonnet scoops. That would technically include monaro bonnets. Also, a defect does not have to be right nor wrong, so long as it is the opinion of a police officer.

As far as the integrity of the vehicle is concerned re: accidents, I would assume the focus would remain on the structural elements of the vehicle rather than the panels, but who knows. BTW ADR 69 is Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection.

All the SA guidelines say are:
Cosmetic body modifications are permitted without Transport SA approval and inspection provided that they are carried out with regard to the safety of the driver and other road users. There must not be any sharp edges that could increase the severity of injuries to pedestrians.

As for the capitals on NOT BODYKITS, that wasnt really needed. The focus of my post was clearly on panels and bonnets and I simply drew a connection with fibreglass bumpers, in the exact same way you did: "if youve ever seen a damaged fibre glass rear or front bar you will notice it shatteres into pieces".

Last edited:

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
In theory a modification to the bonnet or panels would be structural not cosmetic (in reference to replacing the metal ones wth another fibre (fibre glass or carbon fibre) and I think it would be closely related to ADR 73 - Offset Frontal Impact Occupant Protection (The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify crash worthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured by anthropomorphic dummies so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to the occupants in offset frontal impacts.)rather than adr 69, or maybe both :D

I apologise if my comment offended u as this was not the intention but your comments didnt seem like a comparision more like u were inferring that "it couldnt be illegal to have a fibre glass bonnet as it isnt illegal to have fibreglass kitting" when a bonnet is a different area (re: cars structure and integrity) to a front bar or kitting.

"The monaro bonnet may not have been as its fibreglass. For instance in SA, it is illegal to have forward facing bonnet scoops."

This could be true because its the same in NSW but its usually only because the bonnet scoop is a pedestrian hazard, whereas the monaro bonnets are more juss breathing holes than scoops, and they released it on their factory models so in theory it should be legal aftermarket??

I think he received this defect due to not having an engineers cert. ("Carbon fibre and Fibreglass bonnets are legal providing that you have an engineers certificate stating that it complies to ADR69")

"Also, a defect does not have to be right nor wrong, so long as it is the opinion of a police officer"
I generally thought a defect notice had to refer directly to an infringement to a law I.E a 12" rear muffler tip that is really loud would be an infringement to ADR 83-external noise? Im prob wrong but juss seems weird that cops can defect you for watever they want.

Again I ment no offence and apologise if my comments offended you Vn2nv :thumbsup:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Cheers for your input guys. Helped me make up my mind- don't do it. Yet. I'll get a body kit, lower it (insurance may be an issue here but), and then see how I feel.
alexp36, thanks for taking the liberty of photoshopping me that pic. If I magage to get home before dark one day (grrr) I'll do the same with mine.

As for the spoiler - I love it. But yes, VS commy's looks awesome without them, no denying it.

Thanks again.

Yeah no offence meant mate I like the VS look with a bodykit and no spoiler. Another thing you can look at is aluminium bonnets, really cut down on weight. Been told once you add all the safety stuff to carbon fibre it becomes heavier

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Nah do it man!!!

I always enjoying laughin at try hard RICER's!

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Like everyone said its just gonna look cheap and you'll look like a try hard. Slow VR will you ever come up with something new?

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeah and cut a ice cream box in half and glue it on the bonnet if you can't afford the monaro bonnet!!! Rice baby Rice!!! 'Jokes'

Seriously don't bother.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
In theory a modification to the bonnet or panels would be structural not cosmetic (in reference to replacing the metal ones wth another fibre (fibre glass or carbon fibre) and I think it would be closely related to ADR 73 - Offset Frontal Impact Occupant Protection (The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify crash worthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured by anthropomorphic dummies so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to the occupants in offset frontal impacts.)rather than adr 69, or maybe both :D

I apologise if my comment offended u as this was not the intention but your comments didnt seem like a comparision more like u were inferring that "it couldnt be illegal to have a fibre glass bonnet as it isnt illegal to have fibreglass kitting" when a bonnet is a different area (re: cars structure and integrity) to a front bar or kitting.

This could be true because its the same in NSW but its usually only because the bonnet scoop is a pedestrian hazard, whereas the monaro bonnets are more juss breathing holes than scoops, and they released it on their factory models so in theory it should be legal aftermarket??

I think he received this defect due to not having an engineers cert. ("Carbon fibre and Fibreglass bonnets are legal providing that you have an engineers certificate stating that it complies to ADR69")

I generally thought a defect notice had to refer directly to an infringement to a law I.E a 12" rear muffler tip that is really loud would be an infringement to ADR 83-external noise? Im prob wrong but juss seems weird that cops can defect you for watever they want.

Again I ment no offence and apologise if my comments offended you Vn2nv :thumbsup:

Nah no offence taken man, it was my fault. I was tired and had a long week.

About the defect notice thing, thats what I was told by a police officer (about it not having to be right nor wrong just their opinion). They were attempting to defect me for cutting into my rear seat as they pulled me over into an RBT and it the rear section of my seat was down as thats where my subs are and he goes "you know its illegal to cut into your seat like that?" and im like "I didnt cut into it, all commodores have the fold down section" and he goes "a defect doesnt have to be right nor wrong, just the police officers opinion. If I see you put one foot wrong around here, I will defect your vehicle for cutting into the seat". I live in a town of 400 people and he's one of the 3 police and he is a mongrel. He defected his own wifes car, and told my grandparents that if he ever caught a P plater exceeding the speed limit by 1km/h he WOULD book them, which he cant even legally do.

But yeah I looked into it and basically if a police officer THINKS something is illegal or dangerous they are well within their rights to defect you and send you to a vehicle compliance centre to have it checked by engineers/inspectors who will then either remove the defect (though you still have to pay) if its not actually illegal or keep the defect if they find a problem with it.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Slow VR will you ever come up with something new?

Why should i? As long as people keep ricein it up, ill be there to have a laugh!!!