Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black roof paint faded

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
Just bought a 09/17 Red Hot Redline with a black roof which is badly faded & pitted. Anyone else having same issue? Looks like car has spent some quality time outdoors as the black trims on doors & windscreen moulds are toast as well.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The paint for at least some of those roofs was done in an aftermarket-style fashion, I'm not horribly surprised if it's not as good as the robot-applied paint on the rest of the car ... it's a bummer this wasn't complained-about by the original owner while still under warranty 6 months ago. :(

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Being a red car, there's no doubt the body will start to fade, crowsfoot & peel soon, as unloved red cars always do.

The black trims and moulds should be able to be restored.

I'd have a good detailer take a look at the car and give you their opinion and retore and add protection to the bits that can be salvaged.

The roof if it's pitted, will most likely need prepping and a respray.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The paint for at least some of those roofs was done in an aftermarket-style fashion, I'm not horribly surprised if it's not as good as the robot-applied paint on the rest of the car ... it's a bummer this wasn't complained-about by the original owner while still under warranty 6 months ago. :(
Factory black roof option was robot painted same as the original, and the car went around the paint shop twice after the main colour areas were masked up. Dealers could've had a local panel shop paint the roof black on a car in stock.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Dealers could've had a local panel shop paint the roof black on a car in stock.

This is a very likely scenario, I have a mate who had the roof of his sedan sprayed black before picking it up and it was arrange by the dealer.

I can't remember the cost but I do remember thinking at the time, I would have preferred to arrange that myself as it would most likely have been cheaper, plus you get to choose who did the work.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This is a very likely scenario, I have a mate who had the roof of his sedan sprayed black before picking it up and it was arrange by the dealer.

I can't remember the cost but I do remember thinking at the time, I would have preferred to arrange that myself as it would most likely have been cheaper, plus you get to choose who did the work.
A dealer paint job reminds me of a VS SS my wife bought on a factory order that arrived with transit damage and dent in the bonnet. The dealer had it repaired, the job was crap and I refused delivery until they swapped the bonnet off a car on the showroom floor with factory paint. It took a bit of an argument with the dealer principal to swap the bonnet and luckily the paint matched.

I certainly wouldn't trust a dealer to do a quality job of a black roof option!

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_4698.jpeg

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gone beyond a detail I think. Dealer did detail it with not much improvement