Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black smoke & heavy soot coming out exhaust

SteveOVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2 Acclaim
Hi, so fluid levels not dropping not requiring frequent top ups but heavy black smoke and soot out exhaust. I’ll do an oil & filter change, one or two weeks later and 1 tank or less used / minimal kilometres driven & oil is black!!!
Frequent changes, flushes etc etc same results. Why is this & how to rectify please?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Not unusual for an Ecotec, black oil means it's doing its job. If it looked honey a week after regular driving I'd be concerned. Eco's are old tech with a dribbly PCV system and blow by for days. Best I could recommend is replacing your PCV and cleaning out the plenum. It's not an emergency issue though

Exhaust soot is from the extra fuelly mix they run even in closed loop

SteveOVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2 Acclaim
Not unusual for an Ecotec, black oil means it's doing its job. If it looked honey a week after regular driving I'd be concerned. Eco's are old tech with a dribbly PCV system and blow by for days. Best I could recommend is replacing your PCV and cleaning out the plenum. It's not an emergency issue though

Exhaust soot is from the extra fuelly mix they run even in closed loop
Thanks. With the oil colour though, i mean black black, like years of not changing the oil. Also A lot of soot & it hard a.f. to remove from build up on bummer even with cut & polish.
Pvc?