Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bleed valve location for cooling system

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
think about the rubber fluid hoses

our VLs are now about 18 to 20 years old and the rubber fluid hoses dont last for ever
a section of the fuel hose had burst on mine shortly before I bought it, also recently auto trans fluid started leaking from a split rubber hose to the cooler in the radiator , someone reported a similar leak that lost all his auto trans fluid
so give some thought to replacing the hoses now, rather than waiting for problems, its cheap by the metre fron an auto accesory place, avoid the low pressure fuel hose of course for the 6

OBSERD92

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore
hi guys im new here and have trouble taking things in so bair with me if i have the car on flat ground and fill the radiator up chuck the cap on then run it for a min or so then do i undo the bleeder bolts then start car till coolent comes out then tighten them? and 1 more thing i know this aint the right place to b asking but is a 1988 model vl a series 2?

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
no such thing as a series 2. But if it is still original motor it will have the "series 2" rb30 with oil and water feed holes already in block ready for turbs.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
haha 5speed he did not ask that....
mate i run my car, rad full cap on and undo the lower one of the 2 bleed bolts(10mm bolt where Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) is where top rad hose meets the intake manifold first till all bubbles come out and have a constant flow of coolant coming from bolt hole, nip it up and undo the top one on the plenum chamber and wait for same thing to happen then nip it up, then i top up rad and repeat this process again, then take it for short drive and undo them again in sequence to let any dislodged bubbles out, have done this for 8 years of owning a vl and have never cracked the head or had overheating probs(Touch Wood)...
goodluck and welcome to JC

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
and heater on.