Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bleed valve location for cooling system

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
would be a good idea to put some grease on the bolts

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
just drill it out with a 3mm bit, i think the thread is only 5mm so centre punch it and drill straight, you shouldnt have to tap it. Pick up one from the wreckers, mine gave it to me. I tried others but you need to put a copper wacher there, cause it heats up you cant really use anything else.

M

megee83

harry3 said:
the other idea with funnel sounds clever, an alternative is a long length of hose that just fits inside the radiator cap hole, to get the filling height above the higher bleeder screw on the top of the intake manifold.

mechanic mate o mine reckoned to jus cut a bottle (like a 2L milko or similar), wrap some gaffa tap round it to seal against the fill point on the radiator, top it up with some coolant and run the motor til air works itself out... ive always done it like that an havent had any probs. mind you to be honest i wasnt even aware o the bleeder screws... :whistling
is this gonna do the same job or do you think some air would still be left up in there?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE 3.8 V6 t700
ucwepn said:
Hi all I have questions relating to the bleed valve on the head for the cooling system, Where is the bleed valve? ie- what number cylinder on the head? is it on the passenger side? and how does it come out or open?

Thanks all I wanna refill my radiator without cracking the head.
top radiator hose nipple at head, there is a 10mm bolt/phillipshead thats number one, number two on front of intake manifold/plenum at number one pipe/tunnel it a 10mm too, but do the lower one first, then fill coke bottle stick in radiator with 10mm open till water runs out put back in bolt while bottle still filling then tighten, take out top one to remove air pockets hotspots, and squeeze full two litre coke bottle till water comes out top one, keep squeezing while you put bolt back in, this way you have done both sides of a cold thermostat,
reagards jimmy

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
this **** is confusing...i only got the one bleeder valve the one infront of the intake manifold, the other one is snapped off (was told i didn't need it) so if i was to get a hose and have sitting higher than this valve (even higher), and pour coolant into it until it started coming out of the top (valve), would this work? And does that bolt have to be completely taken out or just loosened?
This should be able to be done while the car is off, or should the car be running while performing the methods above???

Last edited:

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
Well it might seem that they didn't use my bleeder valves when the head was replaced, cuz now i have no bleeder valves. It was as tight as all hell, but i undid it slow and it went SNAP! And i went "F**K!"

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
good investiment would be to build a pipe that sticks out of the top of the radiator and doesnt leak, and fill that up aswell because that makes it higher than rad and engine so it'll help get more air out!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I've heard of people filling it through the overflow bottle. Highest part after all.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
gungazza said:
the proper way to do it ,is to fill radiator ,take off rubber hose that gos from the resevoir to the rad ,and tape it to the bonnet stand above moter hight 'put in a small funnel into hose , there are 2 bleed nuts ,thay should say 'do not open when hot',open the lower nut ,and pour water into funnell, when water starts to come out of bleed hole ,tighten it ,and then lossen the top nut , and pour in more water ,and then tighten when water comes out job done
if you dont do it properly you will blow your head gasket :drink: :drink: :b:
thats was already said

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
My bad, I misread it.

I just stick to the normal way, car on a hill so the radiator is the highest point in the car, take the bolts out, fill it until it comes out of the bottom bolt. Then do the top bolt. With the thermostat open preferably.