Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blown VY Manual UTE

P

powerhungry

My set-up is a little different now. It now has vortech v2 rather than powerdyne. All else is pretty much the same.

Made 320 0dd rwhp with powerdyne at 12 psi. Probably closer to 350 rwhp now. There's not a huge difference between blowers at same boost level, although you can feel power a bit earlier in rev range with vortech and a bit more power accross whole rev range.

Other mods include:

Diff changed from 3.45 to 3.7
intercooler, cam, yt roller rockers, injectors, fuel pump, tune, headers, exhaust, rollmaster timing chain etc.

On dyno graph the black lines are power and torque with water/methanol injection, the red lines are with intercooler. only about 8 rwhp gain with cooler but huge increase in torque and 'seat of the pants' feel.

Myself and a mate helped the old man install blower. Tweaked at Scott's dyno Newcastle, tuned at SAS.

Attachments

• car4.jpg
    car4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 549
  • car5.jpg
    car5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 650
  • car10.jpg
    car10.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 444
  • dynograph.jpg
    dynograph.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 602
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,574

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Bloddy nice numbers 350 hp, double what i got, ecotec putting out that much bloddy awsum!!!!

YEAH 500 posts 4 me :)

P

powerhungry

Here are a couple more pics. Almost the same but vortech blower instead of powerdyne.

Attachments

• fron1t.jpg
    fron1t.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 550
  • engines1.jpg
    engines1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 414
  • enginef.jpg
    enginef.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 424

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
powerhungry said:
Here are a couple more pics. Almost the same but vortech blower instead of powerdyne.
Amazing looks like a D'car but flys crap, i would be scared mate thats all ill say!!! top job and was the blower from, how much for the complete setup? :thumbsup:

IMPSTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon V6
looks very nice!! i am looking at something like that for my VS and was wondering how much it ended up costing u?

10wvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
top job, nice and different...loving the stealth cooler too

P

powerhungry

IMPSTR said:
looks very nice!! i am looking at something like that for my VS and was wondering how much it ended up costing u?

I've never really added it up, but i'd say $10,000 +. Initially $5000 odd for the powerdyne kit from capa. This included everything needed ie blower, tune, brackets, rising rate reg, cooler spark plugs, water injection etc, etc, etc.
I also bought exhaust, cam, roller rockers, timing chain etc.

Then i went from 9 psi to 12 psi and from water injection to intercooler and had it tuned at SAS.

Then i swapped blowers from powerdyne to vortech.

PSI234

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VN Commodore
hey powerhungry could you tell me a rough price of what the coversion was between powerdne and vortech as i wanna do it if mine doesn't crack 200rwkw on the dyno next month.
cheers Matt

P

powerhungry

PSI234 said:
hey powerhungry could you tell me a rough price of what the coversion was between powerdne and vortech as i wanna do it if mine doesn't crack 200rwkw on the dyno next month.
cheers Matt

It cost me $3800. This was for new blower, oil lines, bracket , pulley system and belt. The vortech uses 8 rib pulleys, not 6 rib like powerdyne. It's cheaper if you buy a second hand or re-conditioned blower but i wanted a new one.
I can't remember exactly the breakdown but i think it was $2600 for blower and the rest for pulley system (crank pulley, blower pulley and 2 belts) oil lines and clamps and mounting brackets.

My powerdyne set-up made more than 200rwkw , although that was at 12 psi, cam, 1.8 roller rockers, ls1 maf and intercooled. What set-up have you got?