Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Hey, yeah I've taken photos at most steps. I'll sort through them when I'm done. When I do the tutorial, I'll pass it to you to add whatever you think needs adding if you're cool with that, and t hen put it on the net and link it in the how-to section. Trying to dis-assemble the cluster at the moment to get to the face. What a bitch.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Have u got it off yet?

Use a fork to get the needles up. U may have to wiggle it under them, but they should come up easily.
Then to realign them, use the hidden menu, the one that lights up the dash and moves the needles. Once i did that, I also put it on the digital speedo and went 4 a drive, just to check that the needle and digi speedo were the same.
Thats kool bout the tutorial, looking forward to reading it!

Hows it all coming?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Do you need to take out the TINY little screws in the circuit board at the back of the dash? I didn't take the needles off because they felt like they wouldn't move. But I need to remove the green backing ffs sigh.

So the needles WILL lift up huh? How many globes need to be replaced in the cluster? I know there's one for the trip computer.. but what about the dials?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Your helping so much, thank you. What sized LEDs did you use in the cluster? There's 5 for the face and one for the trip computer. I have 5x 3mm and 3x 5mm LEDs at the moment. I think I need 1 more 5mm and then 6x 3mm for the A/C controls haha

Edit: I think the project is over. The stock face covers alot of the green film. It's inaccessible. Cream coloured plastic over alot of it. I'm thinking cut my losses now =/

Re-Edit: It shows up blue WITHOUT removing the green. Off to dicksmith to get some more LED's haha.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that the speedo that shows up blue? its not too dark?
I didn't do that so I dunno how that would've come out.
For the trip comp screen LCD I just used one 5mm LED.
Just make sure u file the top of it flat, otherwise you'll get a major hot spot.

For the aircon controls I used 3mm LEDs in each of the globe holes.

Post some piccies up wen you're sone, Im curious to c how u went!!!

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Ok last post tonight..
I just put the 5mm LED into the trip computer. Soldered it straight in on a guess, got it the right way. Just ran out and plugged it all in (roughly) and it's working. Beautiful! Just need 3 more 5mm LEDs and I'll be right. The cluster is done as far as I'm concerned.

I did the mode button earlier, and plugged that in. Doesn't seem to be working. But that never had a light behind it working in the first place. I'll turn it around tomorrow when I get back to it and see if that works, if it doesn't I'm not going to worry.

The AC controls look like they're gonna be a little difficult because I have the use the globe holder since I can't get in behind the circuit board without disconnecting a whole lot of stuff. That's gonna take me some time.

I'm not going to do the power windows. It looks too difficult trying to get in under there and seems like a waste of time. I'm thinking I want to do under the gear selector though.. have you tried this? What globes are needed if you have?

I went over to 2 dicksmiths and they didn't have any blue LED's so I have to wait until tomorrow. So thankful dad is letting me borrow his car to go to work tomorrow haha. Should be finished up by tomorrow night. I have to get my mates data cable and battery charger, so I can upload the finished product. I'll leave the other photo's for when the guide is done.

Again, thanks for the help =)

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries dude. Makes things easier wen some1 helps ya out.

The A/C controls r easy to pull all the way out. But if your not confident then dont worry bout doin it.

I recommend to do the power window buttons though!!!
You would've popped em out to get the bottom half of the dash insert out yeh?

To pull it apart, around the base are little clips, undo them, working your way around the unit. The top will come off, you'll have to pull the buttons up, to get it off completely. The buttons themselves will stay in.

The LEDs r under each button. To remove a button,slide a small flat blade screw driver under one side and twist it a little. Pulling the button up.
Do the same to the otherside, then carefully remove the button as there will be two bits of brass that will fall out. If they do dont worry, its easy to tell where they came from. Then simply change the LED put the button back. Put a little vasoline on the edges, lubes it up a little, I had sticky buttons. Then move on to the next.

Not hard, just be careful. If u decide to do it.

Cheers, Keegan

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Cluster is complete, I took it out and tested it and it's all working. Just put the cluster all together, so it's ready to go in the dash for a final test tonight. Took the AC controls out of the dash properly.. lost a ball bearing for my troubles =( but will start soldering in a minute and will be done by 7.30. I took the power windows apart.. took one button off and almost broke it. The LED woulda been too much of a mess around to get working properly, so I put it all back together without alteration. The MODE button isn't lighting up still, and I'm not going to worry. Gear selector I won't be doing this time around. Maybe another time. Also, my camera battery has run out, so no pictures tonight I don't think. It's a friend of mine's and I don't have the charger. Photos up tomorrow.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
FINISHED!
And about bloody time. Took 3 days once everything was said and done.

blue_cluster.JPG

blue_ac.JPG

blue_both.JPG

The A/C controls were a bitch. I soldered the LEDs the wrong way, and had to change them around. Then one of the LEDs was wrong, and.. everything ended up easier once my dad brought out the 12v power supply. Woulda made life a whole lot easier if I had it from the word go. Putting the AC controls back in takes two people to do the cold/warm control. I lost the ball bearing but made one up myself from hard cut plastic. Also, there's hot spots around the dials where I scratched the paint too far back. I made a mess of it.

Cluster was easy to do, and I'll do the guide on how to do that. There are bright spots where the LEDs are but it still looks good! I don't recommend doing the A/C controls unless you have a fair understanding of basic electronics and soldering. You will also need another pair of hands to fit the controls back in.

Everything is back together and it's finally time to put everything away. It's been a bitch, and I don't know if it's worth it yet, but it does look good. Plus, it's kept me busy the last 3 days.

Thanks for the help again. Would have taken me a few more days, and the job would of been alot worse if ya hadn't of helped. I'm going to sleep!