Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
u can change nething that has a globe in it pretty much lol but i kept mine green so it looks standard if that makes sense but if u want it blue its possible, i think some1 on here changed theres 2 pink u'll have 2 check tho. as 4 the amount of LEDs u need in the CD player from memory i think its about 10 LEDs and 8 in the tape player

im emailing ya now on how 2 do it theres a number of ways so bare with me

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Got bored tonight, and seeing both my rear power window swtich globes had died
I went out and picked up 2x 3mm LEDs and resitors to suit and installed them.

Had to use the green covers off the original globes and file down the top of the LEDs
as it was way too bright, its dulled down a little bit...still comes through as blue but
couldnt stop the light from escaping around the edges of the switch as seen in the pic
but it looks awesome. Im deffinately gonna have to do the whole dash now ive done
that little part of the car. Ive caught the conversion bug :p

Just gonna have to work out how to do the Main Power Window Switch and the Eurovox
head unit then move my way up through to the cluster which ill be making white over blue :)

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 364

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
winterVX use the lil black tubes that the old globes sat in that will reduce the light escaping like it is and if u want 2 dull it down get some tranparents blue plastic uno the sticky stuff u covered ur old school books with hahaha that u may needa put a few layers on tho 2 get it 2 how dark u want it it wil b the same with the main power windows 2

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Yeah I put them in there, but had to shorten them just a tad, as the LED sits a little
bit higher than the stock-o one that comes in the switch so the button wouldnt
crush the resistor and the LED out of place when it was put back together.
Its cut the glow down to what can be seen in the pic, it doesnt look half bad tho really...
even the green stock one before it blew the other night had a little bit of glow
but very weak compared to a LED.

Did you ever end up tryin to change the LED in the ignition barrel?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
yer if u put the resistor along side with the LED (outside of the tube part) it should b right and wont squash down. umm yer its just 1 globe inside that i just used a 5mm LED then use araldite 2 hold it where its supposed 2 sit u can try use the orignial holder but its way 2 fiddly

lockmac

Reaction score
Hey. I just put 2 blue LEDs in my Climate Control for the screen... it was working, then I put the cover back on and put it in, then turned the car on, they turned on for about 1 second then turned off and i smelt burning. Took it out and one of the LED's has blown.. Anybody know why????

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

lockmac

Reaction score
yep pretty sure i did cause it was working fine, but then it blew out of nowhere.. doesnt matter now i put a new one in and it looks sweet!

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I would say it was a crook LED. You get them from time to time. Had one go in the cluster once and man was I shitting myself. Like yourself I smelt burning.

lockmac

Reaction score
Hey. Well today im going to go to JayCar and buy some LED's after my successfull installation of the blue LED's in my climate control. Im going to do everything but the cluster for the moment, so basically i will be doing the following...
  • Traction Control Button
  • Power button
  • The lights near the gearstick (PRND321)
  • The Electric Window Switch
  • Each individual electric window switch on each door
  • The headlight switch
  • The ignition Barrel

Just wandering... for all these should I just use 5mm 5000mcd blue LED's or what size and brightness would you guys suggest?

Many thanks...p.s. geez these LED's are expensive!