Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Here are the photo's. The quality is a bit shitty but the intensity of the blue led's seems to be upsetting the camera :yeah: They still show what the end result of it all is.

If I didn't have the green backing still in place on the back of the cluster, I think I would be driving blind. But who is to say that I don't already do that anyway :bop:

Next... climate control... argh!

Attachments

• 06012300.JPG
    06012300.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 06012301.JPG
    06012301.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 687
  • 06012302.JPG
    06012302.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 662
  • 06012303.JPG
    06012303.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 686
  • 06012304.JPG
    06012304.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 592

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
Just wondering how much you guys spent on the LED lights. I've been inspired by this thread but looking at the LED's at Dick Smiths has turned me off somewhat.

Az

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I purchased 10 LED's for $2.99 each at Dicksmith.

Just remember thou, a single bulb for a single/multi window trip computer costs $15.20.

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
That much for a single bulb?

Seems I was looking at the wrong LED's..
I priced 5mm 8000mcd at Dick Smith and they were asking $6.45each.
Are 3mm 1800mcd okay? or not bright enough.

Also, I know I read it before in here but what ohm resistor should i use? And does it matter if it is attached to the + or - ?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I put the 8000mcd in cause I wanted a bright blue (particularly with the green backing still in place on the cluster). Depends on if you are going to try and remove the green backing on your cluster panel... i didnt bother myself.

As for 1800mcd... I'm not sure who bright it would be... 5000mcd will still be ok if you want to go cheaper.

I put a 560k ohm resistor on the positive pin to the LED and it worked just fine.

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
Thanks....

Have you had a chance to tackle your climate control yet? I had a quick look last night, not sure if it's gonna be a big job to pull apart or not.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
There's a thread somewhere about doing the climate control, I'll have a look for it and you can use that for some help. 1800 won't be bright enough for the cluster. Get either 5000 or 8000mcd 5mm for the cluster. I paid $3 - $4 at dicksmith for them, but $5 at jaycar. Resistors will only be about $1 for all 8. Use a 540ohm (or as close to.. 450 - 600ohms) resistor. LED's ARE Polarised, so the resistor needs to be soldered onto the POSITIVE end of the LED. The positive end is the longer leg. You can also distinguish the negative end, by the flat part of the LED where the leg meets plastic. Have a look and you'll know what I mean.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=13329&page=1&pp=20
Check this out for climate control. Also, anyone know why my MODE buttons wouldn't be getting power? The LED is in the right way and all, just not getting power for some reason inside the dash.

Myberlina, looking good well done. Try driving at night the first time, very distracting ;)

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
THanks Spyder, thats a huge help.

On the mode button, I never realised it but mine's never acutally had lighting before. I checked with two of my mates - ones a VT the other a VX - and niether of those two have lights working either.

I'm wondering if it is meant too?

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
My mode button works... then it didn't for a while because I had played with it... then I moved it around and it started working again. Maybe the contacts on the globe holder?

The first night driving... urgh... had the lights down as low as they go and still bright! :thumbsup:

As for the climate control... haven't done anything yet... in the next fortnight I will try it. Easy to remove the unit its just what is inside that worries me! :shutup:

I'm glad you like it too... all my mates reckon I spent a fortune doing... nothin could be further from it!

Cheers

M

mada

does any one have any pictures of the back of the dash and know what sides of the hole for the lights are + and which are -. much help would be great