Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bogging down when accelrating and flat battery issues

DwayneWestwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS
Hi all,

I'd like to start off by saying hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and this is my very first post. I'll get on with it though and explain what
s going wrong with my car and hopefully someone can help me out

I have an 07 VE SS that is having dramas bogging down when I put my foot down. It initially started last week when overtaking, it would stick in 3rd gear and wouldn't shift up. Also very sluggish in 3rd gear. The problem has now gotten worse causing issues at any gear at any speed. It seems to run okay otherwise but as soon as I put my foot down it (intermittently) bogs down to the point where it sounds like it is missing. I cannot accelerate faster than 40km/h at this stage and in every gear it feels like it is confused (not sure weather to gear up or down). As soon as I pull off the road and turn it off and on it drives like normal. There are no warning lights on the dash and no alarms faulting? I have not taken it to Lawrence Holden in Rockhampton, as I previously told them about the 3rd gear sticking and they told me they had no idea what is wrong with it. Even after I left it for over a week to be looked at.

I am also having a problem with not being able to start the vehicle if it sits for more than 2 days. It will start fine if I drive it every day but as soon as I leave it for more than 2 days it goes flat. I have read about the battery drainage issues with the VIM module and have taken it to Lawrence Holden Dealer ship in Rockhampton 3 times. It has had the VIM issue fixed and has been updated as well as the door harnesses replaced due to built up of water. I have left the vehicle at the dealership for a week at a time and every time I return to pick it up it wont start. They do not know what the problem is and say its a "Process of Elimination". It has also had 2 new batteries since the problem.

Thanks all,
Dwayne

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
You will have to do a load test on the battery. Once you have determined how many amps is being used to drain the battery you then need to start the process of removing each fuse and observing your meter to see what is drawing on the battery.
Its a slow process but it is the only way to determine what causes it.
You need to keep the car locked at all times to reduce the load on the battery.
As for the sluggish acceleration and gear change a Tech 2 run over the car should pick up and problem with sensors which may be causing the problems. Possibly throttle positioning sensors including the one at the pedal or any number of others.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Have you cleaned the MAF? that can bog her down if its dirty

DwayneWestwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS
You will have to do a load test on the battery. Once you have determined how many amps is being used to drain the battery you then need to start the process of removing each fuse and observing your meter to see what is drawing on the battery.
Its a slow process but it is the only way to determine what causes it.
You need to keep the car locked at all times to reduce the load on the battery.
As for the sluggish acceleration and gear change a Tech 2 run over the car should pick up and problem with sensors which may be causing the problems. Possibly throttle positioning sensors including the one at the pedal or any number of others.

Thanks for the advice!

They did tell me that was done the first time it was taken in and the battery was fine with no drainage... I think they may be telling a little fib but it kinda doesn't make sense that they said it was done if it wasn't

I will be taking it to another mechanic on Monday and getting it looked at. However he has said that if Holden can't fault it with there scanners he doesn't think he'll have much luck either. He did say he'll put the amp meter on and try and investigate farther.

I thought that the scan would have been done at Holden but maybe it's just something that they didn't consider for the weeks that it was sitting there...

thanks

DwayneWestwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS
Have you cleaned the MAF? that can bog her down if its dirty

Thanks for the heads up, I cleaned the MAF earlier today and also cleaned the throttle position sensor. I haven't taken it for a drive since but both sensor looked clean with no damage. I'll try and keep updated if the problem is still there after I drive it.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check the air filter (might be blocked/restricting air flow), perhaps even drain the fuel tank and then put say 20 litres of fresh in and see how it goes. Good luck.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
While I dont doubt they may have done it to tell you there was no draw from the battery is a lie.
It has to draw current for the things to run in the background, eg, theft alarm. Anything more that 50ma draw is way to much and will flatten your battery.
Ask them what it was drawing and see what they say.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
my battery started struggling to start the car during the cold here in Brisbane just the other day, it did start but poorly, idled fine but started missing when under load and trac control off etc-dropping power to keep car running-normal, I did have the battery load tested 3-4 months ago as I am away 3 weeks at a time and it was week starting last time, went to battery world (dealing with local guy years-6 cars ) it showed 420cca capacity so it was down, charging ok, battery was 5 years old (they replaced back then when it failed) new battery and all is great again, so get the battery checked you might be supprised

DwayneWestwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS
Check the air filter (might be blocked/restricting air flow), perhaps even drain the fuel tank and then put say 20 litres of fresh in and see how it goes. Good luck.

Thanks budd, I'll see how that side of it is when I get home. I run BP ultimate 98 in it at all times so I wouldn't think it would be a problem

DwayneWestwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS
I'll see if I can take it to battery world to get it looked at. Did you buy your new battery from battery world? It has had 2 battery replacements but they were both big w jobs