Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boomer the '78 kingswood

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
how much a budget are you running with mate??? a 290 crate is around 5k. your gas research setup is another what, 3.5-4k (minus 1k rebate) add a new transmission for 2k, CRS mounts for 500 odd bucks, 2 grand for full exhaust, lets chuck on 2k in fluids and general stuff like starter motors, coil/dizzy and smog test. your grand total is: $13-14k

buy a good runner engine and trans from a 78' truck for $3.5K, $500 crs mounts, 700 for zorst (good runners usually include ex manifolds) 50 bucks for oil, 50 bucks for trans fluid, 2 dollars for a section of rubber hose for the fuel pump, hell make it 10 dollars so you can have a new fuel filter as well, starter is included, coil is included, manifolds are included, carby is included, trans is included, 500 for the smog test, my total is: $5310

8 grand cheaper... hmmm

a good thread to learn about LPG: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vn-lukes-vn.47104

Add to that, diff, possible bushes, possible brake lines, possible brake overhaul on that diff, tailshaft and engineers cert. plus the usual things that pop up.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
didnt realise how cheap rebuilt 350's have gotten :s under 3k with most of the bolt ons...

They're fairly cheap, and bang for buck better than a holden, but I figure, 20 years from now, parts for ls engines are going to be easier to find than sbc parts, hence my plans for an ls1

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
oh i doubt that very much dude.

350 has been running since the early 60's, thats 50 years of the same block, same pistons, same crank, same heads (yes there are variances on stock, but the aftermarket kit is all plug-and-play). the LS will be phased out before it sees its 30th birthday. plus the 350 was fitted to cars that are actually desirable and will be for a long time. LS's are fitted to POS plastic "throw away" cars like commodores.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
oh i doubt that very much dude.

350 has been running since the early 60's, thats 50 years of the same block, same pistons, same crank, same heads (yes there are variances on stock, but the aftermarket kit is all plug-and-play). the LS will be phased out before it sees its 30th birthday. plus the 350 was fitted to cars that are actually desirable and will be for a long time. LS's are fitted to POS plastic "throw away" cars like commodores.

Well I hope your finally wrong on something

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
i've settled on a 350 i think, ill make it work one way or another

good to hear you're going with what you want mate :), there are plenty of 350's in HZ's so plenty of advice and help to go around!

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project