Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"bore" VE SS rims to fit VY.

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pac Series II Supercharged L67
Hi guys, i was speaking to a member earlier about the install of VE rims on to the VY. Obviously you have to bore the centre of the rims. A local shop is charging $50 per rim. A bit steep i think. Im in Wollongong, and am prepared to travel to Sydney if anyone know where its done cheaper, but no crappy bore job ofcourse!

I spoke to "torqueative" before, he had done the same to his VY, but was advised to change the nuts used. He left the standard VY nuts and has no problems. He was unsure of which Nut was needed to fit on. Do any of you guys know which nuts are needed to bolt on once the rim is on the VY?

Appreciate it, looking forward to having a read of your thoughts, here is a picture of the rim i'm talking about.

721.jpg

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
VE SV6 rims are right up there as my favourites - but I decided they are more a sportier look, so not the right match for my calais - I am hunting a set of VE Calais V rims, which will need boring to suit.

I am in Brisbane - so no use to you I know, except to confirm that you can get it cheaper - I was quoted $25 per wheel and that included providing new chrome wheel nuts to suit.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I hear its about $40 a rim but couldn't say where, just what I have read on the forums.

Pretty sure the thread will be the same but the only thing I can think of would be mag nuts with a flat end as opposed to a rim nut with a tapered to sit slightly inside the holes, then again there is other mag nuts that sit inside the holes. I couldn't say by just looking at that picture though, some VE guys in the other section might know the right nuts to use.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Can't help with 'boring' out rims but in regarrd to your question concerning wheel nuts, you MUST ensure that the replacement nuts match perfectly the taper of the wheels otherwise you run the risk of snapping studs etc. Using incorrect nuts creates undue pressures on the wheel and apart from the ability to correctly torque they can cause aforementioned problem(s).

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks. where do I get these nuts from? I asked the tyre shop which will be boring them but they couldn't help me either

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hey mate
I recently fitted a set of these onto my VT as my dad got new rims for his VE we did all this for free
We used like a battery drill and a drill piece that is like a sander kinda hard to explain. but yer went around the inside of the rim then placed it on if it didn't fit we smacked it on so it gave a mark on the inside of the wheel this then told us where to focus on sanding again took us no time at all and $0 lol

If you wanna try this method out let me know and ill send pictures of the sanding bit and full instructions
cheers

also for the nuts I just went to my local tyre shop and they hooked me up Blairs tyres in Corrimal $40
I also had to get a lower profile tyre on the front because the original tyre was rubbing on the strut dunno if this is needed for a VY but

Vy S SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers for that bud.

im a bit skeptical of trying it myself, for the $200 id rather be safe haha. i just dont see myself doing the best of jobs at the 'boring' lol..

so Blairs will be able to hook me up with the nuts?? does that mean there will be no lock nut? can any fella jack my ride up and knick the rims?

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
nahh sorry dosnt include lock nuts but im sure you can ask them

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
thanks. where do I get these nuts from? I asked the tyre shop which will be boring them but they couldn't help me either

You need to deal with someone who is familiar with these wheels. I suggest you contact Wheel King in Melbourne who supply these VE wheels machined to fit the VY because they also supply the correct wheel nuts for this wheel fitment.
I would not be taking chances by fitting incorrect nuts for this wheel.

Here is the link: Wheels

Good luck with it.

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I had this done for the missus vy when I upgraded the wheels on the ve. Cost about 38 bucks a wheel to rebore them, then I had to pick up the different mag nuts from bridgestone. I cannot remember how much they cost. As everyone said, don't bugger around trying to get a "close enough" fit. Last thing you want is you turning a corner while your wheel bounces away on a different path!
And for the record, they look FN HOT!!!!