Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bosch v8 coil pack differences.

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
Hey guys,
When my car clapped out over the weekend i found after changing the coil pack over, it worked perfectly.
My issue is that the unit i replaced it with was off my 308 motor, the bosch unit MEC 718 was on the 5l efi and the one i replaced it with is a HEC 716.
Does anyone know what if any differences there would be and is it going to damage my motor in any way?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Not sure, mine did EXACTLY the same on saturday morning. Getting a new Bosch coil pack fitted friday morning.

Did you find yours would turn over but not start? Then eventually the turning over slowed down more and more then just wouldn't turn over at all?

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
coil pack

mine would turn over and fire but when heated up over few seconds would die off.
if its slowing down while cranking it will be the battery draining from trying to start. get some jumper leads or booster pack to help keep plenty of juice up to the starter

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Nah it's not the battery, the engine just isn't getting any spark to turn over.

6leeta

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
GREEN VE SS
i found when the spark leads are 1 off (to the right or the left) the motor ill crank over slowly for some reason, i cant think of so if someone can educated me a little im listening :)