Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bose amp wiring question

M

mwb235

I have a VF series 1 Calais V sedan with the factory Bose audio.

I’m trying to work out what 2 of the wires do (between headunit and amplifier) - please see attached wiring diagram.

Violet with blue trace (VL on diagram), and
Green with yellow trace (GY on diagram).

I believe the “GY” wire is either a IGN +12V or the “amp on” signal wire.

I have no idea what the “VL” wire does.

Does anyone know?

CD242646-1CE2-4535-BB8E-316DF5032FA4.jpeg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
!2 volt constant and 12 Volt switch. Note that the left and right are reversed on the Chevy SS
Capture.JPG

M

mwb235

!2 volt constant and 12 Volt switch. Note that the left and right are reversed on the Chevy SSView attachment 199628

Just one thing - out of Pin 8 & Pin 11 which one is the constant 12V? Is the other switched one 12V as well or reduced to 5 Volts or something?

The diagram says “amp control (mute)?” For Pin 11 which sounds like who ever made that diagram wasn’t certain.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Position 8 is the amp trigger. Power is on one of the other plugs. Position 11 is the mute button to mute the amp. I have no idea why it is done that way.

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
M

mwb235

Thanks B.

What I’ve been thinking about doing is fitting an VF series 1 Evoke CD/headunit into my VF series 1 Calais V, and retain the factory amp and subs.

I know that probably sounds stupid, but it is simply so I get rid of the satnav off the touch screen. Yes I’ve moved the nav app icon to page 2 on the home screen, but I’m talking about removing it completely. It can’t be removed via custom programming like you can with the Pandora app icon.

Problem is, the Evoke CD/headunit is missing the two wires I mentioned in my first post - Violet with Blue trace, and Green with Yellow trace. One is amp on, the other is amp mute.

I’m not even sure if doing this is possible. I’d need to run a wire (switched on with relay connected to a speaker wire?) to the amp to turn it on. I’m not sure. I’m a novice with wiring but tbh I know nothing about car audio and amplifiers.

(Also I know the Evoke headunit doesn’t have a DVD player - it’s CD only - but that doesn’t bother me as I don’t want it)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mwb235

When I look at my VF wiring diagrams they show the speakers connect directly to the Evoke headunit, but on the premium system they connect directly to the Bose amp. I believe the Evoke headunit mutes the speakers during phone calls etc, whereas the Bose amp mutes the speakers via a signal from headunit on the Violet with Blue trace wire (pin 11).

So it seems I can generate an “amp on” signal on the Evoke headunit with a Low Voltage Trigger Module (like the one I mentioned above) which I gather works like a LOC. Connect that to pin 8 on amp.

Then, considering how to get an amp mute signal on the Evoke headunit. Put simply (mainly for my benefit!) the Bose amp gets sound IN to it from the headunit, then sends it OUT (amplified) through the speakers. On the other hand, the Evoke headunit (as fitted at factory in an Evoke) sends sound to the speakers directly without an external amp. Therefore if I fit an Evoke headunit to my Calais V and connect it to the factory Bose wiring - rather than sending sound to the speakers directly, it’s sending it to the Bose amp. That means when the headunit is muted (e.g. phone call) the sound to Bose amp will also be muted. Pin 11 on amp not needed. Does this sound logical? I hope so!

All the other connections to the Evoke headunit are the same as the Calais V one. I actually bought and (temporarily) fitted an Evoke headunit into my Calais V, flashed/unlocked it, and it all looks and works fine except no sound.

I think I’ve got this!

Sorry all this is so long-winded but I’m doing the best I can with my limited audio knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: