Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bose amp wiring question

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think you will have an issue with the signal going to the amp. The Bose fitted units use low level signal while lower spec cars drive the speakers directly.

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Well, a lot of amps have signal sensing, so when it detects the incoming signal from your head unit, it turns on automatically. So you will not need a remote trigger. Even though nearly every amp has a connection for one. B.

M

mwb235

I got my TPMS programmed to my ‘14 Calais V today by Jeremy at JSB Performance. Just gotta fit the sensors to rims and voilà!

While there I asked Jeremy about the above amp issue etc. He says he knows how to remove Pandora, Stitcher and the Satnav from my Calais V head unit. That way I don’t need to stuff around with an Evoke headunit like I was thinking of doing. So I’ll be making another trip to JSB soon!

Thanks to all who responded in this thread to my odd questions!

M

mwb235

I’ll have to go back to my original plan of using an Evoke headunit. Jeremy at JSB can’t help me anymore as he’s too swamped with contract work. I don’t know of anyone else who knows how to remove the nav from mylink (pandora and stitcher yes, but not nav).

Like someone mentioned above the Evoke headunit has high-level speaker outputs (as it doesn’t use an amp) whereas my Calais V has low-level speaker wiring (goes thru the Bose amp). Not sure how the indicator/reverse sensor beeps will play and how loud. Only way to find out is to try I guess.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
May I ask why you want to remove it?

Can’t you simply not use it?

M

mwb235

I know. To most people that probably would be sufficient. I just don’t like factory navigation as it’s not practical (expensive to update, or can’t be updated at all after a certain time period). I also prefer to have the navigation on its own screen. Holden seem to go out of their way to make it close to impossible to remove. I’m not talking about them doing it for free under warranty. I’m happy to pay a programmer to get what I want, but no, I can’t even do that. Holden design it so navigation was only available as a package with DVD player and premium sound. I don’t like being told no when there isn’t a good reason, particularly when I’m paying a large sum for their cars. Just corporate greed and inflexibility. Believe me, I wish I could just “simply not use it” like you say but that doesn’t work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn't change it due to the low level sound as I mentioned from the Calais head unit. The sat nav unit is bolted on the bottom of the stereo.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
What I remember it was the unit under the main radio unit.

M

mwb235

What I remember it was the unit under the main radio unit.

Ok thanks I’ll take a closer look when I get the time to stuff around with it all (been enjoying NOT having the dash apart!:)).

Will probably just fit the unlocked Evoke unit, wire in high to low converters on speaker wires, and wire in a trigger from the ign. Only question will be how the indicator and reverse sensor beeps sound. Will take some testing but I’m confident it will all work.