Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Both front doors leaking directly onto speakers when wet

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
Hey guys, a few months after I installed some new speakers in the doors of my tonner, they started randomly cutting in and out. This seemed to be happening more often after it had been in the rain of recently washed. So I decided to investigate. Turns out that the black rubber trim between the bottom of the window and the rest of the door (on the outside) is more or less a V shaped channel that shoots any water that hits the window straight down into the door, and then drips directly onto the back of the speaker!?!? This is the same for both doors on my ute, and the same on my parents vy commodore. A design fault. So every single time my car has ever been in the rain or been washed (which is a hell of a alot), my door speakers have been copping a drenching. I went to holden and replaced the trims on both sides and the problem continues. .

So my question is has anyone else had their speakers f*&%ed up like this also, and/or has anyone come up with solution to protect them?? If this has already been covered on another thread, please point me in the right direction cause i couldnt find anything.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Never heard of this before and Ive fitted speakers to my VZ without issue.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I know on VR/VS they have a half cone to stop water dropping onto the speakers.

Last edited:

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I dont have a problem of the water leaking onto the speakers but I do have the problem of the water leaking onto the drivers seat.

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
If you own a Vy or VZ, next time you wash your car, take the interior door trim off and have a look at your front door speakers. You may find that you too have a waterproofing issue you never knew you had. .

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I washed my car, it dripped onto the seat still even with the cover off. Honestly I think I am just lucky, or unlucky depends how you see it.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
They are meant to have a cone over em to protect them. Insides of doors are meant to be passages for water m8