Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bought my first commodore, advice...

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Bought a Commodore, I like it but it seems to have a couple of issues....

Ok so a week ago I bought a VT2 Acclaim sedan, has had FE2 fitted, and 16" rims. Bought it with 188,000klms on it, for $7500(had $10k on it) from a dealer with rego till oct 09. It was put on gas in 07. I am the third owner, was serviced upto 80ks at Holden in Bendigo, then when the 2nd owner bought it, it was done at a local mechanic shop with a very good name(Who also later fitted the LPG).

First thing I always do on my cars when bought -
-Flushed the coolant and replaced with quality long life stuff.
-fitted K&N performance filter.
-had auto serviced and flushed(made a decent difference).

Ive identified a few things with it im not sure of, just after advice/tips on if its normal/bad etc. And if generally I got a good buy.

-when I first start the car of a morning it starts and dies, 2nd go it starts runs rough for 10secs then runs ok.
-when i first start the car, there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the passenger side footwell area/direction.
-when i get up to between 105-120kph it seems to get a shake, i know new tyres were fitted(225/50 ZR16), not sure if it needs a balance/alignment.
-when cruising at any speed over 50kph the gear lever(auto) seems to move back and forth, sometimes quite violently.
-after starting when i first take off the power steering sort of makes a groaning noise for 2-3 secs.
-when braking from any speed above 70kph i get a violent shake from the rear end(brakes were done as part of RWC before i picked it up).
-went to change the oil and filter but we couldnt remove the sump plug, im a pretty big guy, and with a sidchrome socket set and a 2' extension pipe for the handle, could not undo the sump plug!!!! Never seen anything like it b4, I started to round the head of the bolt with a tight fitting socket!

Dont think there is anything else, overall i like the car and want to get it A1.

Any advice appreciated.

Luke

oh one more thing, where are the side Air Bags in the Acclaims? I want to either upgrade the seats to SS or get some decent seat covers, will this effect the side airbags?

Last edited:

vtmanualv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD 3.8L
-when I first start the car of a morning it starts and dies, 2nd go it starts runs rough for 10secs then runs ok.

could be a bad batch of fuel, try running bp ultimate for a few tanks, if that doesnt work then come back onto the forum and i'l give you a few more pointers.

-when i first start the car, there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the passenger side footwell area/direction.

Could also be the bad fuel, engine pinging but you need to describe the problem more, could also be using a not so good type of oil and it doesnt seem to lubicate the top end at starting up good enough

-when i get up to between 105-120kph it seems to get a shake, i know new tyres were fitted(225/50 ZR16), not sure if it needs a balance/alignment.

Could be chopped out tyres meaning they arnt smooth, but you should feel this at any speed and also get a annoying sound too. Rub your hand over the tyre along the whole tyre see if you feel any bumps

-when cruising at any speed over 50kph the gear lever(auto) seems to move back and forth, sometimes quite violently.

Could be gearbox mounts or engine mounts

-after starting when i first take off the power steering sort of makes a groaning noise for 2-3 secs.

Could be low on powersteering oil, but could also be normal(straining the pump, eg turning your wheels while your not moving)

-when braking from any speed above 70kph i get a violent shake from the rear end(brakes were done as part of RWC before i picked it up).

Brake discs could need maching

-went to change the oil and filter but we couldnt remove the sump plug, im a pretty big guy, and with a sidchrome socket set and a 2' extension pipe for the handle, could not undo the sump plug!!!! Never seen anything like it b4, I started to round the head of the bolt with a tight fitting socket!

Try giving bursts of power, like giving it taps with a hammer but with your hand if that makes sense.
Shock is better then brute force
But dont know why you couldnt undo that

Hope this helps, ive only given you some ideas but you need to describe your problems better could be many other things

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Cold Mornings and LPG dont go well together that could be that problem.
As for the rest vtmanualv6 sounds about right, rear brake disc machining is a common need with VT's

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
With the running rough, I read somewhere it starts and runs on petrol for 3-5secs then switches to gas. Im thinkin maybe bad fuel or injectors/filter need doing maybe?

Thanks guys, yeah I wouldve thought the yard shouldve both balanced the wheels when they put new tyres on it and also machined the rear discs when they put the new pads in.

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
Thanks guys, yeah I wouldve thought the yard shouldve both balanced the wheels when they put new tyres on it and also machined the rear discs when they put the new pads in.[/QUOTE]
Dont be stupid they want to make as much $$$$ of the car they can.They only do the the things they have to do.Most yards have their own dodgey mechanic for rwc.

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
yeah this guy has his own mechanic too, but they dont do their own RWCs

i should be able to get both done for about $100 anyway (balance and machining)

biggest thing im worried about is getting this sump plug out, i had another shot at it yesterday, giving it sharp blows with my palm of my hand and still wont budge....

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
biggest thing im worried about is getting this sump plug out, i had another shot at it yesterday, giving it sharp blows with my palm of my hand and still wont budge....[/QUOTE]

Yeah had the same problem when i had it service by a kmart mechanic did it way to hard.Took it back & said to crack it for me in the end of all his trying had to use a small cold chisel & tap it.Try it when the car has been running aluminum needs heat.

DaggaZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Try using a soket for the sump plug, if your not already using one...

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Cheers Thomo will give that a try.

Yeah DaggaZ already using one, quality ones too. But still no go.

lad79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Bought a new plug and washer from Holden this morning, $11 thought it wouldnt hurt incase we wreck the current one taking it off.... Also got a air driven rattle gun to try and ease it out.

I love this car(first commodore and only had it 2 weeks), but I think Ive bought a bit of a lemon......

Lot of talk in another thread bout bacfire on LPG, I dunno bout backfire but today mine made a muffled pop sound from the intake when i was trying to start it this morning. We had 8 degrees overnight and was still cold this morning, Since then my engine light has come on and Idle is rougher than a rasp file. I also noticed the fuel pump(petrol, think its an in tank job??), doesnt seem to be turning off when on LPG(and maybe on the way out). When I switch to petrol the revs jump 200rpm or so, and then it runs a lot smoother. When I switch back to LPG it stalls. I kick it over and it will start but idle is the same, real rough. I'm thinkin the petrol is still coming into the cylinders when on LPG and flooding is occuring.

Would anyone recommend changing plugs, leads, coil packs etc?

Just for reference I also just fitted a K&N panel filter.

Any advice appreciated, close to getting rid of this car and buying a VTII 5.7.

Cheers
Luke