Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Calliper paint

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The callipers on my VH are painted black however I would like them to be the same colour as the car. Does anyone know who mixes heat paint? I have tried quite a few here in Ipswich but have drawn a blank. The colour of the car is venetian red.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The callipers on my VH are painted black however I would like them to be the same colour as the car. Does anyone know who mixes heat paint? I have tried quite a few here in Ipswich but have drawn a blank. The colour of the car is venetian red.
Have you tried auto paint suppler?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
May have to get on the phone & start working your way further away from home?
If you haven't already?
Thanks Lex, I have already started. I will ring a few more as I am concerned they might try and sell me ordinary car paint that I can easily access and don't want.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What sort of temperatures does calliper paint really have to cope with as I didn't think it was so very high:rolleyes: Supposedly VHT calliper paint can cope with intermittent temps of 485C but from memory they don’t spec the normal operating temps as such.

So being curious, google takes me to the following EbC web page which says:

Q) How often should brake caliper seals be changed?
A) Every 2-3 years in road use, or every few races on the track, or if the caliper body reaches temperatures over 250°C.​
Q) What is the maximum safe temperature for caliper seals to be exposed to?
A) EPDM seals (the most popular type) are not designed for use above 140-150°C, which corresponds to a caliper body temperature of about 250°C.​

So now it raises the question who changes their calliper seals every few years which seems more important than calliper paint aesthetics? And do brembos have EPDM or virgin seals?

@keith reed, I know it doesn’t answer your question on where to buy custom calliper paint locally but could the following mob (who have a few options) help (disclaimer, never dealt with them)?

And a consumer blurb comparing different calliper paints…

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I personally used engine enamel to do the calipers on my VC.....After 4 or so years, it is still on the calipers....

I bought the paint from my local auto parts store

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
EDIT.....Just remembered, the rear calipers on my VC were done over 10 years ago with engine enamel and the paint is still on them....

I have never washed them either. Both front and rear calipers have brake dust on them

It was my fronts that were done 4 or so years ago, when I did the VT upgrade....

Reactions: Lex

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well have had a change of heart, it would have been too difficult to get what I wanted so I have gone with gloss black. Even that was a hassle, none of the auto supply outlets had any or knew when they would be getting any in. However Bunnings had gloss black engine enamel that will be as good.

Skylarking, it was a long time ago and discs are nothing like as good as they are now but an E Type Jags on that road in Italy whos name escapes me had the temperature of their discs get up to 1000 degrees fahrenheit.

Edit. The Mille Miglia was the name of the road.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think it's not just the temperature but also the chemicals they are exposed to like brake fluid.