Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake fuse keeps blowing

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
Seems to be a common problem, I've done a search and found some things to try but had no luck so far. Either it keeps blowing or the threads died.

Car is a series 1 VT Calais
The issue is my brake light fuse keeps blowing. Sometimes instantly, sometimes it could take a few minutes with the foot on the break for it to blow. I've replaced/taken all the globes out, unplugged the indicator stalk, cleaned the earth for the tail light loom, taped up all wires incase of rubbing on the body, removed the trailer plug, disconnected the boot spoiler light and it's still having issues.

Help plz?

Have to catch the fken bus then train to work now cause of this heap of crap lol.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Honestly mate with things like that sometimes its easier to just take it to a reputable auto sparky who can throw his gear at it and find the fault quickly and easily. One of my previous car kept blowing headlights and fuses because of a wire the had rubbed through behind the dash pad. He found this in about 30 mins after i had already spent hundreds on switches, relays, globes and my own time lol.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
and also tried with no globes in at all and still have the issue.

You have a dead short in a wire if it's blowing with no bulbs
Check the actual bulb sockets have no corrosion or wires touching inside or behind going into the loom

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When you say "brake light fuse", what fuse are you actually referring to? I can't find any fuse labelled "brake light" in my workshop manual. Fuses F1 to F27 are in the compartment under the steering wheel and fuses F28 to
F35 are in the engine compartment.

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
haha looks like someone already changed the switch at some point with a non cruise control one.

Edit. definitely not the switch. Found 3 spares in my shed and popped the fuse straight away. Has to be a wiring short. Somebody has butchered the wiring in it tho for a grandpa stocker. Cant understand wtf they have done, wires joined and extra ones that run nowhere and a switch thats not hooked up at all. I think the books say Brisbane airport was the original owner so might have been a chauffeur car or something? All the extra wiring is taped and ive followed the loom as far back as I can and cant see any rubbing against metal. Did seem odd just having problems now after owning it for 18 months lol.

Definitely going to see an auto elec Monday. Still going to try and sort it out myself though between now and then, if I havent swapped it another car for it by then lol.

Last edited: