Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake job quote . Is it excessive ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I know what I wrote and stand by it.

When I googled the different all I can come up with is the same answer I gave you. This is Quoted by a brake specilist.

Basically bleeding the brake fluid is when you open an end of the system(caliper nipple)and compress the fluid(like when pedal is pressed)to get out any air in the system. Fluid is probably good, but has air in the system now.
When you flush the system(some use alcohol)to get all the brake fluid out and clean the system of any traces. This also could be done just by swapping colors of fluid like when you go to Super Blue fluid. What you're doing then is, just getting out all the old fluid that has lost it's properties and is holding water for new fluid. Or perhaps have gone to synthetic, DOT 5 or another non compatible fluid for what was in the brake system before.
So: Bleeding is getting rid of some air in the lines. Flushing is getting rid of all or most of the fluid in the lines.[/QUOTE]

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you will find although it is a sealed system, there is still opportunity a small amount of atmospheric air to enter the system over the period of a couple of years whether the cap is removed or not. I'd say that given enough vacuum you could draw air into the resi, suggesting the brake system does have some weak spots. The rubber lines won't stop 100% of the moisture in the air, given enough time. It's the same with bottles of brake fluid I ride bikes and used to race and never would I use old fluid that has sat on the shelf, it boils.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Update

Turns out front caliper bolts i specified previously dont fit my car which has 'heavy duty 345mm' front brakes with Mando caliper according to Holden
Correct bolts for this seem to be 92290982 and they are almost $40 each !!! **** you Holden.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Update

Turns out fron caliper bolts dont feed my car which has 'heavy duty 345mm' front brakes with Mando caliper.
Correct bolts for this seem to be 92290982 and they are almost $40 each !!! **** you Holden

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Are they 15mm? Because 15mm bolts are fucken expensive as I found out a few years back.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Btw after I told the workshop I will not go ahead they said this...

They seem to think pulling it off takes 2hr...
No way...

Also now they talk about brake fluid etc when there was not mention of it in the original quote...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190916-181215_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190916-181215_Gmail.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 169

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Also now they talk about brake fluid etc when there was not mention of it in the original quote...

... and I could cynically guess that they would have added any brake fluid bleeding costs on to the original quote if they discovered moisture in the brake fluid.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will take one out and measure it up...
if it is a 15mm, the bolts won't be cheap no matter where you buy them. 35 - 40 each will be the norm. Might even be the same if they are 13mm, although I have never tried pricing up 13s. I know Coventry want around 35 -40 for 15mm shank, about 75mm long. Fortunately for me i needed 9/16 bolts and not 15s as i first thought.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Im normally by myself changing brakes and don't have a self bleeding tool(missus hates helping me work on the car cause im a cranky prick),what I do is this,not what you should really do but hey,i suck the old fluid out of the resi,wipe it out and refill with fresh stuff,drive car for a bit,old fluid will recirculate into the resi from the brake lines and you can see it because it hasn't mixed yet,i change the resi fluid again and repeat til its clean,all the while driving it for a bit between changing fluid,all it costs is a bit of brake fluid,its cheap stuff.
Like I said,its not as good as bleeding the system and replacing all the old stuff with new but it works.