Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad rattle

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

Need help with a front brake pad rattle that is driving me insane. It's a metallic rattle, only happens over bumps and disappears as soon as I touch the brake pedal. So it can only be brakes.

I've replaced the pads, the anti-rattle shims / clips, and now the whole calipers at $600 (including new shims again), and the damn noise is still there. So the only original thing left in the equation is the rotors, but I can't see how they would cause this noise since they're spinning, and the slightest pressure on them (from the pads) stops the noise. Am I wrong?

Before I waste more money on new rotors, any thoughts on what else it could be?

Do the rear calipers have these metal shims as well? Maybe I'm hearing it wrong. But the rear pads aren't original either. Help!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are these stock brakes? I didn't think the fronts had shims. Remove the shims and make sure the pads are on the correct sides of the caliper.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
1st. Remove your Wheel Centre Caps (assuming you have OEM wheels)
Road test it,
If still there,
2nd. Check your Sway bar links,
Road test it
If it’s still there,
3rd. Check the strut top nuts.
Road test it,
If it’s still there,
Then it’s another issue

The above items can be done by yourself,
Saves forking out $’s for mechanics as they like milking owners.

Last edited:

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Are these stock brakes? I didn't think the fronts had shims. Remove the shims and make sure the pads are on the correct sides of the caliper.
Sorry should've mentioned, no Brembos. The "shims" are the pressed metal clips that hold the pad in place, so not really shims more clips, but definitely needed. Pads are definitely the right way around.

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
1st. Remove your Wheel Centre Caps (assuming you have OEM wheels)
Road test it,
If still there,
2nd. Check your Sway bar links,
Road test it
If it’s still there,
3rd. Check the strut top nuts.
Road test it,
If it’s still there,
Then it’s another issue

The above items can be done by yourself,
Saves forking out $’s for mechanics they like milking owners.
Good call, I'd ruled anything else out because it stops as soon as I touch the pedal. I'll check those just in case. Thanks mate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What brand pads? Mine don't have those clips. You shouldn't need those clips either. I have A1RM's and they don't have clips and they are a semi race pad.

I edited my reply when I saw you paid $600. It was obvious then they weren't Brembo’s.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Good call, I'd ruled anything else out because it stops as soon as I touch the pedal. I'll check those just in case. Thanks mate.

Other items to check -

I had 2 Rattles and had my head spinning for weeks,

1. Was the Holden Centre Cap Emblem was loose in the centre cap, and always rattled when I hit a bump,
[Removed the Centre Caps and forced some clear Silicon in behind it around the clips]
2. The RHS Hand Brake Shoe had dislodged from the top Spring,
[Re-hung the hand brake shoe correctly]

Last edited:

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
What brand pads? Mine don't have those clips. You shouldn't need those clips either. I have A1RM's and they don't have clips and they are a semi race pad.

I edited my reply when I saw you paid $600. It was obvious then they weren't Brembo’s.
First a/m set were QFM, current set DBA. Interesting that yours don't have the clips in the caliper bracket and don't rattle, maybe that's something I need to consider!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
First a/m set were QFM, current set DBA. Interesting that yours don't have the clips in the caliper bracket and don't rattle, maybe that's something I need to consider!
Did the QFM's have the clips? I have QFM A1RM in the box and no clips, and my current pads no clips. Most don't seem to have clips, and people often put them on the wrong sides.

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Did the QFM's have the clips? I have QFM A1RM in the box and no clips, and my current pads no clips. Most don't seem to have clips, and people often put them on the wrong sides.
They didn't come with them no, from memory I re-used the originals that time but have changed them since. I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Far as I know all the non-brembo calipers should have these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424-163638~2.png
    Screenshot_20230424-163638~2.png
    593.7 KB · Views: 86