Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad rattle

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why do you need those? The pads don't need clips to hold them in on a VE.

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
So, I think I may have found the issue, and yes I may be an idiot. I can easily move the rear calipers backwards & forwards by hand inside the bracket, and there's a knocking noise. Sure enough the pads move easily as well (and the metal clips are scraping when that happens). Going to get the back wheels off and see if the caliper bolts are loose. The pads themselves look passable, but I'll probably replace them anyway while everything's apart. Will update!

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Why do you need those? The pads don't need clips to hold them in on a VE.
They're the factory anti-rattle clips/ springs that hold the pads in place. I've never seen a non-brembo VE without them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They're the factory anti-rattle clips/ springs that hold the pads in place. I've never seen a non-brembo VE without them.
I'll have to have another look, when up on the hoist next. I don't remember any clips.

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I'll have to have another look, when up on the hoist next. I don't remember any clips.
You can see them through the wheel, no need for a lift. Tiny bit of metal (side on compared to that photo) between the pad and the caliper bracket.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My apologies there is some there. I never noticed them when I pulled the calipers a couple of months ago.

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
My apologies there is some there. I never noticed them when I pulled the calipers a couple of months ago.
All good, if they'd never rattled I wouldn't have known they were there either - just my luck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are your pads in the correct way?

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
So, I think I may have found the issue, and yes I may be an idiot. I can easily move the rear calipers backwards & forwards by hand inside the bracket, and there's a knocking noise. Sure enough the pads move easily as well (and the metal clips are scraping when that happens). Going to get the back wheels off and see if the caliper bolts are loose. The pads themselves look passable, but I'll probably replace them anyway while everything's apart. Will update!
Have you found a fix? I’ve got the same problem and it’s driving me nuts, I’ve taken my wheels off a bunch and I’ve narrowed it down to the pads rattling, i don’t know how to make it stop though