Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pad rattle

timssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Have you found a fix? I’ve got the same problem and it’s driving me nuts, I’ve taken my wheels off a bunch and I’ve narrowed it down to the pads rattling, i don’t know how to make it stop though
I'm thinking / hoping it's the rears, not the fronts. I've replaced everything on the front except the rotors (which were replaced a few years ago). Could've sworn it was the front based on the sound, but I've ordered rear rotors, pads & clips to make sure. There's plenty of meat left on the rear pads but I think the clips may be hitting the rotors since there's a fair bit of movement in the calipers (rotors worn down). Waiting for the parts to arrive, I'll update when I've fitted them. Up to $950 so far just trying to fix a damn rattle!!

My advice for the first attempt at a fix would be take the pads out and check they're in the correct way (inner & outer) and are wearing evenly (if they're not it could be sticking slide pins), measure the rotors against minimum thickness, and replace the anti-rattle clips / springs / shims while you're in there. Brake & clutch places sell them separately for about $20 a set, and front & rears are different.

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
I'm thinking / hoping it's the rears, not the fronts. I've replaced everything on the front except the rotors (which were replaced a few years ago). Could've sworn it was the front based on the sound, but I've ordered rear rotors, pads & clips to make sure. There's plenty of meat left on the rear pads but I think the clips may be hitting the rotors since there's a fair bit of movement in the calipers (rotors worn down). Waiting for the parts to arrive, I'll update when I've fitted them. Up to $950 so far just trying to fix a damn rattle!!

My advice for the first attempt at a fix would be take the pads out and check they're in the correct way (inner & outer) and are wearing evenly (if they're not it could be sticking slide pins), measure the rotors against minimum thickness, and replace the anti-rattle clips / springs / shims while you're in there. Brake & clutch places sell them separately for about $20 a set, and front & rears are different.
Thanks I’ll give it a go and wait to see how your rears go haha