Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake question please

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
I was getting some serious steering wheel shaking when braking firmly at highway speeds, so i got my front discs machined & new pads, it brakes very good now & no steering wheel shaking at all.
At the time of fitting the guy told me my back pads have only about 15,000 left on them & he reckons the back discs will need machining as well, i told him i get them done later, but is it common for the back discs to need machining as well as the front, the mechanic that normally services my car has never mentioned about my back discs needing machining, i am not to sure about this brake place, like he never said to me come and have a look at the back discs or anything, i suppose i should have asked, and i know its hard for you people to comment without actually looking at them yourselves, just that i have to be careful being on a pension, like its another $80 just for machining, i was thinking of only getting the back pads fitted on when needed, is there any signs that back discs need machining like the front steering wheel shaking with the front ones, any thoughts or experiences anyone ?
thanks
Ron

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i wouldnt be worrying too much about it mate, as long as the rear rotors still have enough thickness thats all that really matters. just do the pads when they need doing and it'll be right.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
i wouldnt be worrying too much about it mate, as long as the rear rotors still have enough thickness thats all that really matters. just do the pads when they need doing and it'll be right.

Thanks mate, very much appreciated :thumbsup:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I would worry about it a little more. If your rotors are badly grooved it will adversely impact your braking. Inspect your rotors, run your fingers across the rotor and see if you can feel any significant grooves. If it all feels smooth the rotors probably don't need machining and a pad change is all that is required when due.

the executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN 5spd 3.8
ok guys i have a ??? sorta new to abs so dont know what to expect ....but when i'm braking lightly the cars seems pull sorta thing..is the sumthing wrong ???

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it pulls to one side during braking, its either a sticky caliper or the radius rod bushes are worn.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
I would worry about it a little more. If your rotors are badly grooved it will adversely impact your braking. Inspect your rotors, run your fingers across the rotor and see if you can feel any significant grooves. If it all feels smooth the rotors probably don't need machining and a pad change is all that is required when due.

Ok, thanks for your advise, i will test that myself.
good on ya mate, much appreciated :thumbsup:

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim