Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake question please

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
ok guys i have a ??? sorta new to abs so dont know what to expect ....but when i'm braking lightly the cars seems pull sorta thing..is the sumthing wrong ???

You say you have ABS (anti-lock braking system) - when braking like in a panic the ABS is designed to release brake pressure to whichever wheel is locking to provide maximum braking and also to allow you to still steer correctly. You will feel a shaking thru the brake pedal when this happens and you should notice that the wheels do not lock up. If it does it with low pedal pressures as in normal braking then it could be warped rotors as previously mentioned.
Do a GOOGLE search for ABS - the RACV have a good story about it.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
ok guys i have a ??? sorta new to abs so dont know what to expect ....but when i'm braking lightly the cars seems pull sorta thing..is the sumthing wrong ???

If you are new to ABS, go and find a quiet industrial estate, get a bit of speed up, say 60-70km/h and then slam the anchors on, and keep your foot buried in the brake pedal, it will pulsate something shocking and there will be a fair bit of noise... but its meant to be that way, whatever you do, don't take your foot off the pedal... you will be surprised how quickly you can pull up, but it will give you a feel for how the car handles when you do need to brake in an emergency. Obviously make sure there is no one behind you when you test out the brakes... but its an excellent way of showing you how it works, as most peoples reaction is to get off the brake pedal when it starts pulsating.

SlyVR

Fo'sizzle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wags
if you cant be bothred just get a set of DBA rotors for cheap and new pads good upgrade and shouldnt take too long, and you know those rotors will last, also helps if you have a auto to use the handbrake at lights and put ur foot of the brake because when braking the heat is what causes the warping. I have too suffered from this :( but dba ftw :)

SlyVR

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You shouldn't really feel anything through the pedal with ABS as it cycles off and on about 20 times a second. Slight intermittent lock up will occur though especially on a road with loose surface.

To avoid heat build up at a specific point on the rotor when coming to a complete stop, you shouldn't brake hard keeping your foot on the pedal until the car has stopped. Rather you should brake moderately until you have slowed sufficiently then release the brakes for a second or 2 then stop. This dissipates enough heat not to cause material transfer from the pad to the disc causing pulsation or vibration.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
if you cant be bothred just get a set of DBA rotors for cheap and new pads good upgrade and shouldnt take too long, and you know those rotors will last, also helps if you have a auto to use the handbrake at lights and put ur foot of the brake because when braking the heat is what causes the warping. I have too suffered from this :( but dba ftw :)

SlyVR

I wouldn't recommend or do this, the bit about using the handbrake I mean.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You shouldn't really feel anything through the pedal with ABS as it cycles off and on about 20 times a second. Slight intermittent lock up will occur though especially on a road with loose surface.

To avoid heat build up at a specific point on the rotor when coming to a complete stop, you shouldn't brake hard keeping your foot on the pedal until the car has stopped. Rather you should brake moderately until you have slowed sufficiently then release the brakes for a second or 2 then stop. This dissipates enough heat not to cause material transfer from the pad to the disc causing pulsation or vibration.

That's always a bit difficult because if you're braking hard it means you are in a tight situation and the only way to avoid it is to stop as quick as you can. I know they have this problem on the racetrack as well but cannot figure out how they overcome it if they want to win the race.:w00t:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina

Ive always braked like that, it feels more comfortable for me and my passengers when you take your foot off then place it down gently again the car comes to a nicer softer stop, no harsh jerking like my dads braking.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's always a bit difficult because if you're braking hard it means you are in a tight situation and the only way to avoid it is to stop as quick as you can. I know they have this problem on the racetrack as well but cannot figure out how they overcome it if they want to win the race.:w00t:

Race cars are built for speed, not comfort. The discs and pads are a different composition. I don't think the driver really cares how it feels when he brakes, just that the damn thing slows down, lol.