Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I did this conversion on my both my sons cars ve and vf and we just swapped brackets and discs and alloy part of caliper stayed ….interesting cracks in pads though that were changed on the vf

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
VX.... I recently changed all disc pads (front and rear) and front discs with the cheapest pads I could buy new and ended up with squealing from the front that really bothered me so I revisited the front calipers/discs about 10 days later....What I discovered (comparing the old with the new) was that the new pads actually had a slightly wider but noticably longer (about 20mm) surface area of contact with the disc than the old ones . I initially thought the squeal might have something to do with the stainless clips not seating correctly or slide pins ...but my further inspection revealed all was as it should be. It took a month for the new pads to bed in but the squeal is gone and the brakes actually work better in my opinion. They dust up the mag more (probably due to the cheap material but also possibly the longer contact area) but they grab better likely due to the greater surface contact with the disc. I went with the cheapest not because I wanted to save money but because the other set I last installed had a grit coating to speed up the bedding process unfortunately I noticed it also helped wear the disc down to quickly(ended up with a noticeable lip after a few months).... Im thinking the higher grade compound actually caused faster disc wear . I am happy with the cheap set although the bedding in period drove me nuts....lol

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
VX.... I recently changed all disc pads (front and rear) and front discs with the cheapest pads I could buy new and ended up with squealing from the front that really bothered me so I revisited the front calipers/discs about 10 days later....What I discovered (comparing the old with the new) was that the new pads actually had a slightly wider but noticably longer (about 20mm) surface area of contact with the disc than the old ones . I initially thought the squeal might have something to do with the stainless clips not seating correctly or slide pins ...but my further inspection revealed all was as it should be. It took a month for the new pads to bed in but the squeal is gone and the brakes actually work better in my opinion. They dust up the mag more (probably due to the cheap material but also possibly the longer contact area) but they grab better likely due to the greater surface contact with the disc. I went with the cheapest not because I wanted to save money but because the other set I last installed had a grit coating to speed up the bedding process unfortunately I noticed it also helped wear the disc down to quickly(ended up with a noticeable lip after a few months).... Im thinking the higher grade compound actually caused faster disc wear . I am happy with the cheap set although the bedding in period drove me nuts....lol
If you seriously think that grit stripe on a set of new pads wore your rotors down by any noticable extent you are honestly smoking crack. I mean, why doesn't someone start selling new cutting tips for brake disc lathes. Forget about high speed steel or tungsten carbide, just make them out paint with grit in it and watch the metal disappear. ;) :)
According to Bendix the grit is titanium dioxide. Whatever it is it will barely scratch the surface. All it does is help the pads bed in quicker. It would have helped speed up the process with your new pads.
Lots of the best brake pads make heaps of black dust. Remsa make make the worst dust but they are a great pad and last for yonks.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's weird because mine too were on the wrong sides of the caliper yet I didn't have any issues. Yet I have read where people have had problems and you have had problems that were fixed by putting them on the correct side. Glad it's sorted.
The pins that stick up on the pads barely jag the pistons so I’m sure some people wouldn’t have a problem with them being the wrong way if the pins do end up clearing the pistons.

I suspect it might cause the pads to squeak though as when I did the front pads and discs on my SSV the pads were around the wrong way from the previous owner and they has started squeeking on light brake applications.

The pads were somewhat low though (about a quarter thickness remaining) so it could have just been that they were low that they started squeeking but most cars I’ve had previously wouldn’t start squeeking just because the pads were low.