Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

KernowCrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 Sportwagon in Voodoo Blue
Morning all!
Yesterday I finally got around to upgrading my SV6 brakes with the slightly larger V8 versions. In practice this means slightly larger rotors, new pads, braided lines and the same calipers held by the larger V8 brackets sourced from eBay.
All went well until I bled the brakes and I discovered one caliper was locking on, the front right.
After a great deal of f**king about I believe the problem has to do with the slide pins grabbing in the bracket. When the piston is withdrawn slightly (or pads removed) the caliper moves freely on the new pins. These were lightly greased according to the supplier’s instructions but I also tried the old pins which made no difference.
If I leave the pins even slightly loose then the caliper works fine. When I nip them up they jam up. I’ve tried rotating the pins in 30deg increments but no variation at all in behaviour.
I have ruled out the caliper being bent by using my original so it can only be the bracket. Right?
It doesn’t look bent. It did come from eBay wrecker but looked undamaged and just a bit dirty.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Morning all!
Yesterday I finally got around to upgrading my SV6 brakes with the slightly larger V8 versions. In practice this means slightly larger rotors, new pads, braided lines and the same calipers held by the larger V8 brackets sourced from eBay.
All went well until I bled the brakes and I discovered one caliper was locking on, the front right.
After a great deal of f**king about I believe the problem has to do with the slide pins grabbing in the bracket. When the piston is withdrawn slightly (or pads removed) the caliper moves freely on the new pins. These were lightly greased according to the supplier’s instructions but I also tried the old pins which made no difference.
If I leave the pins even slightly loose then the caliper works fine. When I nip them up they jam up. I’ve tried rotating the pins in 30deg increments but no variation at all in behaviour.
I have ruled out the caliper being bent by using my original so it can only be the bracket. Right?
It doesn’t look bent. It did come from eBay wrecker but looked undamaged and just a bit dirty.

Return the caliper to where it came from

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Morning all!
Possibly you have have inner & outer pads mixed up?
From what l've read before, they are marked inner & outer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Possibly you have have inner & outer pads mixed up?
From what l've read before, they are marked inner & outer.
Mine don't say inner and outer but you tell by the rivets. If the rivets are in the wrong spot the piston will touch them. Having said that though one of mine was in backwards and I didn't know until we did the struts.

KernowCrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi, would a pad issue cause the pistons to jam up though? I’m open to try anything and will pull them out and have a look but the problem has to be pin related I think.
I have messaged the guy on eBay but I bought them in November so I’m not holding my breath

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi, would a pad issue cause the pistons to jam up though? I’m open to try anything and will pull them out and have a look but the problem has to be pin related I think.
I have messaged the guy on eBay but I bought them in November so I’m not holding my breath
Hard to say but definitely check your inner and outer pads are installed correctly because they can cause all kinds of issues if you have them the wrong way.

KernowCrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well thanks for that!
Turned out it was the pads in wrong and putting them in right fixed it, who would have guessed?!
No excuses from me, totally my bad but it seems the previous owner got it wrong too
Thanks to those who posted, hopefully someone else might have this trouble in the future.

Attachments

• E7E124F6-305D-4542-B047-467FD39DB121.jpeg
    E7E124F6-305D-4542-B047-467FD39DB121.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 110

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's weird because mine too were on the wrong sides of the caliper yet I didn't have any issues. Yet I have read where people have had problems and you have had problems that were fixed by putting them on the correct side. Glad it's sorted.