Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brakes! Not happy with em'

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Brakes! FIXED NOW! YAY!!!!!!

I've had my wagon for about 3 weeks now. It's comfy, the kids love it, I can cart my stuff around in it, pretty happy. Except for the brakes!

I've only ever had two cars (2000 Magna & current model Mazda 3) with this ABS business so I'm not sure if it's because of ABS or not.

Anyway, the brakes don't actually engage until about quarter to half pedal travel.... Is this the norm for Commodore's??? I mean it does stop, even under hard braking it does a good job, but the pedal travel is just, well too long...

I'm used to just touching the pedal and the breaks engage...

Marz.

Last edited:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
mine only has a slight amount of play in it, no where near half a pedal.

maybe your brake fluids a bit low, or apparantly air bubbles in the brake lines cause a sort of spongy brake feel, maybe get holden to look at it..

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Thanks guys,
I'll check the fluid level over the weekend and maybe bleed the system if I have time.
Is there anything special you have to do when bleeding an ABS brake system or just bleed them as you would a non-ABS system?

Marz.

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Question Brakes! Not happy with em'

Don't like em on the ute either
they don't seem to pull up fast enough :bang:
A nasty shudder through the pedal when stomped on hard :realangry
I'm thinking of beefing them up to:
4 piston (front – 356mm rotor)
4 piston (rear– 343mm rotor)

What have other guys done ?

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Yer! I get the shudder too when pulling up hard. Does it also seem like you have to keep pushing the pedal more and more when hard braking? I mean I can almost bottom the pedal out when I'm braking real hard.......

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Its normal,
The VZ has the newer abs boshh v8.0(cant remember of the top of my head) system,where it takes less effort to bring on the abs in a "emergency stop needed situation". So in effect it takes less effort to bring the abs on, as this was proved in the statistics of crashes where the abs didnt come on. The older versions it used to take a lot of pressure to bring the abs on.
A lot of people used to complain about the soft feel of the brake pedal in the VZ when they were first released, but that is how it is designed to be.
Hope you can understand what i have just tried to explain.

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Yep! Thanks for that. But should the pedal travel be so long?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
i got a set of slotted rotors and some deasent pads sitting here waiting for my vz ute, our vz work car has the same problems as said above, doesnt give alot of confidence at all does it :(.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
They have different things added to the braking in these modern cars and they all have different types of brake feel.
the general idea with ABS is when you apply the brake you keep your foot on the pedal and let the computer system take over, not like the old days when you had to press the pedal take your foot press again etc.