Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

break shudder

have a shudder in front end when i apply the breaks,
took it to a break specalist they said that i needed new roters so i took it to a tire service in QLD and asked them they said it was the roters and they could machine them as they was well within the limits so 2 people cant be wrong so they machined the rotors for me and checked the balanced (there was nothing wrong with the ballance) of the wheels as well drove out of the tyre service no shudder when i applied the brakes but after traveling for about 100klm the shudder came back so when i got back to N.S.W. i took it to my own tire service and asked them they said that i needed a wheel alinment and ballance so i got them to do it(there was nothing wrong with the ballance and the wheel alinement they said was only out by about 1mm) drove out of the tyre service centre no vibration when the brakes were applied but after traveling about 100klm it came back again no tyre wear at any time during all of this nothing loose underneath so i decided to put new roters on like the break specalist said and that fixed it for the first 100klm im at a loss as what to do untill i find out what is wrong the shudder is getting worse even put new brake pads in still no good can anybody help i have had the front looked at by so many people and no one can tell me nothing loose under neath even change all the bushes in the front nothing? thanking you brian

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
i get the sam eprob in my vl had my breaks done twice but problem still not fixed..... help for this would be great hey..

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
changed the pads? is it 100k's in one hit? could be the pads getting shitty once theyre quite hot?

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i found that when i am delivering for work the noise comes back so if there getting hot what happenes then feels like im not gonna stop at all......

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
vlfury said:
well i found that when i am delivering for work the noise comes back so if there getting hot what happenes then feels like im not gonna stop at all......
Standard Commodore brakes are ****. What you're experiencing is commonly called "brake fade." This can be fixed by using slotted/cross drilled rotors & better pads.

When the pads get hot, they emit gases. These gases sit between the rotor & the pad and actually prevent the pad from contacting the disc properly when the brakes are applied. Slotted rotors scrape the face of the pad and force the gases away from the surface of the disc.
even put new brake pads in still no good can anybody help i have had the front looked at by so many people and no one can tell me nothing loose under neath even change all the bushes in the front nothing?
A few things come to mind:

1. Maybe its your driving style. If you're hard on new brakes for the first few hundred km of their life, you might be damaging the rotors or pads. You need to "bed" them in properly before they'll take a punishment. If standard brakes aren't up to the task, maybe you should upgrade them.

2. Wheel bearings? What condition are they in? Are they properly installed?

3. Has your car been in a smash? Something might be slightly bent. If you wheel alignment is out after 100km of driving, this is a strong possibility.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
so, what will happen to my car if i dont fix it...will the breaks totaly fail at any stage

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
vlfury said:
so, what will happen to my car if i dont fix it...will the breaks totaly fail at any stage
Anything is possible. If you're that hard on your brakes, it'd certainly pay to upgrade them.

Either that or slow down.... ;)

hardly use my breaks unless they are really needed use my gears to slow down advanced thinking driver can see cars pulling up at lights start to slow down way ahead of time a lot of times role to a stop without using breaks never been a heavy driver and the shake is only in the front left same pads both sides new rotors replaced at same time i suspect that the car has had a prang on the left side before i bought it but not 100% sure

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Maybe your rotors need machining? You should get it fixed and start using your brakes, otherwise you'll be back asking why your transmission is rooted.

Gears are for going, brakes are for stopping.