Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breaking issue

Emz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 Holden Commodore
VE 2009 SV6 - whilst waiting for my back left ABS sensor to be replaced, I’ve driven the car twice. Both times (travelling at speeds less than 40kph) I’ve gone to apply the break and had very loud crunching/grinding noise inside the vehicle when pressing my foot on the break pedal. Almost like glass under my foot. very loud like metal to metal grinding and you can feel it in the actual break pedal. Pull over, pump it a few times and it’s gone. Next drive it happens again randomly, loosing almost all breaking power.

Mechanic has now replaced the ABS sensor, and checked each wheel, break pad, calliper, break line, pedal, fluid, everything - and it all looks and feels perfect mechanically. He can’t see any issue or why it’s happened. Of course he drove it afterwards and no issues at all.

Any ideas what else it could be?
Was it possibly the ABS sensor making the break pedal issue occur? Bit scared to drive it incase it happens again.
Thanks guys.

- Error code for ABS and stability control was detected.
- No other codes were recorded when breaking issues occurred.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Worn master cylinder maybe. That would give direct feedback through the pedal.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Our 2011 SV6 was doing this same grinding vibration thing intermittently on our trip to Melbourne last year.
We had the ABS fault warning and the ESP off/disabled warning for most of our trip.
Replaced both rear ABS sensors after we got home from our holiday and no more issues.

Replace your rear ABS sensors and or faulty wiring harnesses and all your problems will go away.

Emz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 Holden Commodore
Our 2011 SV6 was doing this same grinding vibration thing intermittently on our trip to Melbourne last year.
We had the ABS fault warning and the ESP off/disabled warning for most of our trip.
Replaced both rear ABS sensors after we got home from our holiday and no more issues.

Replace your rear ABS sensors and or faulty wiring harnesses and all your problems will go away.
Thanks mate, that’s exactly what we have done now. Back left sensor was the issue triggering the error code. Have replaced that one, so I’m hoping it’s fixed the grinding pedal issue. Glad to hear yours stopped straight away.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Thanks mate, that’s exactly what we have done now. Back left sensor was the issue triggering the error code. Have replaced that one, so I’m hoping it’s fixed the grinding pedal issue. Glad to hear yours stopped straight away.
Ours was also the left hand rear sensor but I wasn't going to muck around. Replace both and be done with it is my preference.
I figured the horrible grinding noise and vibration + the loss of braking capability was the ABS activating at low speeds.
I am convinced Holdens have programmed the ABS to do this after x amount of time/useage as a means to scare the driver into finally taking action to get the faulty ABS sensor replaced.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I figured the horrible grinding noise and vibration + the loss of braking capability was the ABS activating at low speeds.
I am convinced Holdens have programmed the ABS to do this after x amount of time/useage as a means to scare the driver into finally taking action to get the faulty ABS sensor replaced.
Yeah, I’d think it was probably the ABS doing it’s thing

And if Holden did program the ABS to activate after a failed sensor was ignored for a period of time, I’m sure that would work in getting some recalcitrant owner off their but to finally fix their hated vehicle :p After all, ABS is a safety device that shouldn’t be allowed to linger in a faulty state for too long ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine will have an ABS fault logged. Unfortunately the second time the repairer popped it on the hoist and use the engine to turn the wheels they forgot to switch off traction control. When I drove it out of the workshop it had beeps and flashing telling me I had an issue with my ABS. It went away once I drove it up the road but now I will have to pay to have it cleared at some point.....