Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone or Michellin

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
so actually just went to enquire about some S007As.. seems they are now discontinued.. that was a short life.
They're still shown on Bridgestone's website along with the predecessor S001. In SA, Bob Jane seems to have better access to Bridgestone tyres than the Bridgestone shops for some reason and they had plenty of S007A's a couple of months ago. Who told you they're discontinued?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They're still shown on Bridgestone's website along with the predecessor S001. In SA, Bob Jane seems to have better access to Bridgestone tyres than the Bridgestone shops for some reason and they had plenty of S007A's a couple of months ago. Who told you they're discontinued?

I know Bob Jane tend to buy in bulk when specials come about......Bridgestone stores have the special price all the time...So I would suspect Bob Jane probably bought up big with these and had them on the shelf , where Bridgestone didn't have them on the shelf at the time....

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi All, I put some 20s potenzas on my LS3 WN Caprice, & was really happy with them for about a year & then they literally turned to s--t. I have since put the 19s back on the rear with a 255 Michelin, it's early days but they seem ok for now.
The Michelin sport pilot 4 S I now run are the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on tire's still have plenty of tread but fight for traction in the dry & forget about wet weather. I'm going to a Vredstein ultrac vorti tire's if I can find them, absolutely the best tire I have ever had & that was on my WM Caprice.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The Michelin sport pilot 4 S I now run are the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on tire's still have plenty of tread but fight for traction in the dry & forget about wet weather. I'm going to a Vredstein ultrac vorti tire's if I can find them, absolutely the best tire I have ever had & that was on my WM Caprice.
That's interesting as BMW Australia driver training conducted by race drivers, Steven Richards, Jack Perkins etc removed the 4S from the M cars and fitted Bridgestone S007A's. A reason was never provided or mentioned but they don't use the 4S on any track/training cars. Poor grip would be a good reason to change tyre brands to minimise the likelihood of inexperienced drivers crashing expensive cars.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
That's interesting as BMW Australia driver training conducted by race drivers, Steven Richards, Jack Perkins etc removed the 4S from the M cars and fitted Bridgestone S007A's. A reason was never provided or mentioned but they don't use the 4S on any track/training cars. Poor grip would be a good reason to change tyre brands to minimise the likelihood of inexperienced drivers crashing expensive cars.

I do know a lot of race car drivers being either current or ex are actually paid by tyre manufacturers to provide favourable reviews of their product....So I wouldn't read into that too much

Good example...Back in 2009 ish, when Mr Richards was driving for Ford Performance racing, he was raving how good Dunlops were.....Because he was sponsored by them...:)..

Last edited:

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
geez they all line $$$$ their pockets from the sponsors
best is what suits your situation, car,budget and road-driving conditions the rest is just hype and
advertising, they dont make anything like they used to = more wear = more sales

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
geez they all line $$$$ their pockets from the sponsors
best is what suits your situation, car,budget and road-driving conditions the rest is just hype and
advertising, they dont make anything like they used to = more wear = more sales

Tyres that wear less generally are as noisy as all get go...That's because they have more rubber and a harder compound....

Tyres last longer these days compared to the older days.....Comes with development.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I do know a lot of race car drivers being either current or ex are actually paid by tyre manufacturers to provide favourable reviews of their product....So I wouldn't read into that too much

Good example...Back in 2009 ish, when Mr Richards was driving for Ford Performance racing, he was raving how good Dunlops were.....Because he was sponsored by them...:)..
Is that why BMW driver training went to Bridgestone in this case? A couple of racing categories had a deal with Kumho and after a few cars went into the wall with tyre failures, one went to Bridgestone and the other to Dunlop. Either marketing deals or tyre issues can result in a brand change.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is that why BMW driver training went to Bridgestone in this case? A couple of racing categories had a deal with Kumho and after a few cars went into the wall with tyre failures, one went to Bridgestone and the other to Dunlop. Either marketing deals or tyre issues can result in a brand change.

There is a Kumho V8 racing series....There is also another category that runs Kumho race tyres too...Can't remember the name but they are open wheelers

The super 2 V8 supercar series run Dunlops from memory..

Bridgestone not sure who runs them...

The 2 v8 series running the different brands I think is based around the limited testing policy for the main game to prevent an unfair advantage tp the really big cashed up teams....If you notice the super 2 cars are the older generation cars, whilst the Kumho series is older again...Call it the series that runs out of date race cars....

I am sure some marketting deal is done to run particular brands as well...It is also possible tyre failures have resulted in the brand changes...

As to why BMW went to bridgestone....If the test drivers are sponsored by Bridgestone, BMW will switch...Or it might be possible BMW have done a deal with Bridgestone to supply tyres for their cars...

The tyre industry, like all industries will try different ploys to get the consumer to buy their product...

Last edited: