Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken steering wheel controls

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
hey all, jumped in my car at work this arvo and went to change song on the steering wheel and the button just pushed through :hmmm:..would it be fixable or will i have to buy a whole new row of buttons/just the next button? and if so how much from holden if anyone knows or should i be able to go to wreckers and pull one off another vz? Also does the entire steering wheel need to come off to change them over?

cheers.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
No, the buttons cant be bought individually, the whole assy has to be bought. I wouldnt bother with Holden as they charge around $200.
Yes the steering wheel has to come off!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No, the buttons cant be bought individually, the whole assy has to be bought. I wouldnt bother with Holden as they charge around $200.
Yes the steering wheel has to come off!

Hi Paul

Are you sure the wheel needs to be removed? I've had the airbag off a couple of times and I'm pretty sure the stereo controls plug in at the front of the steering wheel.

However,,,,,,I could be wrong.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Ok you can buy the whole assembly for $100 from Holden, just make sure you get tht right one (the manuals dont have the lights on controls and the 5 speed auto has the extra harness for the gear change paddles. You don't need to take the wheel off, only the airbag. PM Phreddy if you want someone in Sydney to do it for you.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
bugger!!..trust the fiddly **** to be expensive and hard to get too..might give the wreckers a ring tomorrow and see if they got a vz lying around i can fiddle with before i pull mine apart:boxing:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
bugger!!..trust the fiddly **** to be expensive and hard to get too..might give the wreckers a ring tomorrow and see if they got a vz lying around i can fiddle with before i pull mine apart:boxing:

Don't bother mate, you are much better off getting new ones as you are likely to end up with buttons in the same conditions as yours were before they broke.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hey just curious which side was it? Cause this happened to me and my volume control side stuffed up, but the other side controls are fine. I'm happy to provide mine to you if your mode/track select side is stuffed. I can also provide you detailed instructions on how to do it yourself as I only attempted mine a few weeks ago.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi Paul

Are you sure the wheel needs to be removed? I've had the airbag off a couple of times and I'm pretty sure the stereo controls plug in at the front of the steering wheel.

Only the airbag needs to be removed, then the harness for the stereo control plugs in the front of the steering wheel.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Hi Paul

Hi Calaber,

Prob could, i just found it easier with the wheel off.