Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken steering wheel controls

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
****, everyone seams to have broken their's lol.

I remember on my old VX the Volume Up button was broken too..

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
yeah mines still broken..cant be arsed fixing it yet..

newcastleboy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Mine's also the volume up button! Then the volume down was also the one to go!

While we're on this subject, the steering wheel centre on my VZ has developed a crack around the badge, is it possible to buy a new centre and install it without having to replace the airbag? Which I imagine would be big biccies if that was the case!

SS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
+1 over here on the volume up breaking. Previous owner did it, he was going to fix it himself but knocked $500 off the price cause he didnt have the time and i said i would do it.

Its piss easy, seriously. Also its easier to take the whole wheel off cause you need to run the cable from one side to the other. Its not hard to take the wheel off, after you undo the nut it just pulls off. the spline isnt too big so its not like you need a puller or anything to get it off. I used these instructions and had no issues, only thing i found it easier to do the first step by turning the wheel so the slots your unlocking are at the top (inline with the cluster) just make sure you recenter the wheel before you take it off.

It honestly took me longer to replace the speaker grill than to change my wheel controls.

OZsSV6

Oz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Mine was the up button as well. I'm gonna give it a crack this week while i'm on holidays. I'm just concerned that if I replace the whole assembly, I'll lose the phreddy lighting effects. then I'll have to solder on new micro leds. anyone got any suggestions or advise

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
just change the boards over, I've done it quite a few times but its been a while. From memory there's little tabs you need to pry up.

When you get your old ones out of the car start playing with the housing til you work out how it unclips (that way if you break the housing at least its not your new one and you'll learn what NOT to do). The switches themselves come away as an assembly from the main housing.

Once your in its just a matter of taking the entire board out and doing the same to the other one - or just swapping the switches over. Once you've worked out how the housing unclip's it wont take more then 5 minutes to swap the Phreddy stuff over and keep the mods with the new switches.

Next time I have to do one I might take photos to help people swap the Phreddy stuff over, seeing as its popular for these buttons to pop off

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
My "Up Volume" button broke 3 weeks ago. I will be getting a brand new complete set from Holden and getting WA Contact for ASR-Audio being WRX884 (Ant) to install when he finishes off my dash lighting colour change. Holden Price is $111 if you can get Trade Pricing.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
I guess different pricing applies just like other types of shops. Plus Im in country WA and if stock comes ex east, then freight may be added also. But I agree that paying $100 or thereabouts for the buttons isn't cheap. But Im prepared to pay whatever money to fix my car how I like, otherwise I would own a cheap sh#tty runabout and not part with any money.