Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Steering Wheel Volume Button

S

StealthCalais

Hi all

Well unfortunately I managed to break my volume up button on the steering wheel controls grrrr! (not suprisingly... potentially a sign I should turn the volume down :p)

After reading a few threads on what the options to fix this issue are im still undecided. I can either go to holden and fork out $150 for whole new set of buttons (what a scam, have to buy both units together) and get them to replace at extra cost no doubt...

OR

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/143756-vz-radio-buttons.html

There is a neat little fix that someone has done to repair just the one button - its a good idea in concept and apparently it was still lasting after a few months, but hard to say. Additionally, it involves removing the airbag and disconnecting bits and pieces, which ordinarily I'd be keen to try - but given its the airbag I dont want it to blow up in my face!

Has anyone had much experience with fixing these buttons or removing the airbag etc. Pointers, ideas, tips, suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi all

Well unfortunately I managed to break my volume up button on the steering wheel controls grrrr! (not suprisingly... potentially a sign I should turn the volume down :p)

After reading a few threads on what the options to fix this issue are im still undecided. I can either go to holden and fork out $150 for whole new set of buttons (what a scam, have to buy both units together) and get them to replace at extra cost no doubt...

OR

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/143756-vz-radio-buttons.html

There is a neat little fix that someone has done to repair just the one button - its a good idea in concept and apparently it was still lasting after a few months, but hard to say. Additionally, it involves removing the airbag and disconnecting bits and pieces, which ordinarily I'd be keen to try - but given its the airbag I dont want it to blow up in my face!

Has anyone had much experience with fixing these buttons or removing the airbag etc. Pointers, ideas, tips, suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers

I can report that my heavy handed wife has not busted the repaired button as yet. I did not remove the air bad as such - just flipped it up while I undid the 2 screws holding the buttons in. It is a very cheap fix using some cloth and super glue (in very small amounts).

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
As for airbag removal, there is a How-to on VY/VZ steering wheel rermoval. Don't know about the button repair, havn't done that.

desert-eagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ lumina Executive
its quite easy to remove to remove the steering wheel, I had a broken volume button. I disconnected the + and - connection . Left it for 15 minutes. to drain any electricity. then removed the air bag . and you can get access to the volume control buttons. removed then . super glued them . left it for 2 hours to dry. and it has been 5 months. never had any issues.