Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Transmission.... Any Advice?

senatorbaz

Burnout? what burnout?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Senator
Recently I have fixed nearly every part of my VS Senator, next is the transmission (Auto). As I drive from 1st it will go into 2nd but then it seems to push second out but not select 3rd and pretty much feel's like it is in neutral. All I can use is first second and reverse. I have a feeling one of the solinoids is dead, or the stall converter is f'ing up. It has a corvette valve body and 3000rpm stally.... Any Idea's? :confused: :bang:

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
have you check the computer for errors? if nothing has come up wat colour is you fluid?

senatorbaz

Burnout? what burnout?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Senator
Nope no errors... typically. And the fluid is as red as it should be with the perfect amount inside...

stewart

Reaction score
never worked on a 4 speed auto, just older 3 speed... probs with them selecting could sometimes be solved by adjusting the bands

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
nah aparently vn and newer are elctronic and dont have bands in them

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
They have the bands but they are actuated by solenoids I think....whicever way you can't adjust them.

stewart

Reaction score
if they cant be adjusted, what does one do? when they start to wear down? is it a scam by holden to rip us off?

senatorbaz

Burnout? what burnout?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Senator
They don't have bands they have clutch plates, it was the 3rd-4th clutch plate pack that went :( Apparently common in the older version in the turbo700 (VP backwards) but the turbo 400 4L60E (VR-VS onwards) don't have the problem as common. We are currently looking into what fixes there are for this problem, i.e. what may be cause the clutch plates to blow after a pathetic 5000km, I will post up what we can do to fix it! And just for the record they are not even nearly adjustable as they are steel.

H

HyPoVr

Yep thats exactly right, its your 3rd & 4th clutch plate it happened to me last week (my wallet is still in shock from it). Had to get a reco'd transmission cuz once their burnt out they are pretty well ****ed. Don't pay someone to do it because I got quoted $2500 to put in a reco'd box....... which cost me $770 from the wreckers. Get under the car and find out what type of box you've got (5HDD was mine for the S2 V6) and give your local wreckers a buzz.

It's a pretty easy install, just a little time consuming as the drivers side extractors have to come off the engine completly, the passanger side you can leave at the flange though. Took me 2 days to do mine, out the first day, in the second day..... just don't forget to get yourself some tranny fluid before hand ;)

senatorbaz

Burnout? what burnout?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Senator
Well my problem is a standard gearbox wont last with 300kw+ for very long. I have taken it to a place in woden, Auto torque, they are really cluey about it all. THey have a whole **** load of stronger bits and pieces to put in it, from race type clutches, and they are changing it from the 6 clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack to a 9 clutch set up, more clutch surface area, less breakage. including a rebuild of the stally, a whole crap load of new internals, new gears, new clutches for all gear packs I'm looking at about $2500 to $3k. If your getting plenty of power, talk to someone with an idea about gearboxes, unlike the knobs that built it 5000km ago which knew nothing.

I'll list everything I got once I get it back, just for other peoples future knowledge.