Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [Buick]"How To" bypass hose and inlet manifold bung

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I changed mine so it's more like the ecotec cooling system. The heater has a 4hose heater tap so it's also a bypass even when the heater is off. the ecotec's heat up quicker and also it makes the cooling system more efficient. (how you ask) well, once the cooling system is up to temp and the thermostat is open you need all the coolant going through the radiator so that it can be cooled. With the bypass a certain amount of coolant (which is still hot) is cycling back directly through the water pump straight back into the engine block without been cooled.

Been running it like that for about 2 years now with no noticeable problems. Engine heats up quicker on cold mornings (and we get a fair few of those here in NZ) so the demister works better.

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Oh really? details/pics? I'm guessing this would keep down intake temps since you wouldn't have coolant running through the intake manifold?

nah the way he has mentioned blocking/bypassing won't change the temp of the intake much, it still has coolant flowing through the heads and to the thermostat.

great idea changing the system like that though on the older systems, i think it was just the first vn's with a 4 connector heater tap/bypass, my 91 has 2 connector tap, so heater off, no water bypassing the thermostat.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Scotchbrite pads work wonders for cleaning without really removing any metal. Polish reasonably well too :)

Cheers
:p Did it that way to polish the 3 meter camshafts on the collins class subs. works a treat

Rodeo Girl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore and RA Rodeo '03
Great Post guys.

Followed most of the instructions. Only difference, couldn't get belt off alternator pulley, so just levered the belt tensioner (to left of alternator) so it loosened the belt enough to get it off then same to get it back on, two person job though.

Cheers (off to check out how to change the front struts).

Ann

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Great Post guys.

Followed most of the instructions. Only difference, couldn't get belt off alternator pulley, so just levered the belt tensioner (to left of alternator) so it loosened the belt enough to get it off then same to get it back on, two person job though.

Cheers (off to check out how to change the front struts).

Ann

it's easiest to release the tension then slip the belt off the water pump pulley as it has no lip, especially if it's a newer belt that isn't stretched.

Vp4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 wagon
Couple of things here.
The 18 mm socket is for the fan belt tensioner pulley. Fit the socket on a ratchet then use it to move the pulley & loosen tension so you can remove the belt.

I undid the 2 bolts to the alternator but left the cables connected, just moved it out the way.

Getting the old bung out was a pain. Baked on to the manifold. I chiseled it out carefully.

If a piece goes into the manifold just put a garden hose in the radiator filler cap and flush it out to the front. I the used a piece of wire to hook it out.

Clean hole. Use some high temp gasket goo to make sure of a seal.
Bolt up, fill up with rainwater or distilled then run up to temp. Check for leaks.
If no leaks allow engine to cool then drain by removing bottom hose.
Fill with coolant mixed with distilled as spec.

BadDad62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Gen3 UTE
I pulled the manifold off my VR to do mine last year.

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
I pulled the manifold off my VR to do mine last year.
Old thread but someone here may be able to help. I have an early VR V6 that I am putting in a Hot Rod and don't need a heater. So I have removed the steel tube from the timing cover and will block it. The question is about the other heater connection that I believe exits the rear if the inlet manifold. Does the water flow thru the manifold when the heater is off? If not, then can I just block the front and rear water ports of the manifold? And the outlet on the top of the timing cover?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You need to leave one bypass in place (the one from the top of the manifold back down to the waterpump), this allows coolant to flow when the thermostat is closed and helps the warm up cycle. The other one you can block off as you please.