Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

building a new pc

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
oh sorry typo with the 985, was meant to be 980, also, well obviously you do not use your computer to your full potential or you have just been smoking too much to realise what you can do with a computer, and have you noticed the difference in gaming inbetween a gtx 295 compared to 4x285's? obviously not mate, and about the ram speed, your saying you only get the speed if overclocking, LMFAO honestly shut the F**K up unless you really know what you are on about, you never done no video decoding or interlacing before have you mate?

oh man, why did you bother replying? screw getting a shovel, you're going to need a bulldozer to get yourself out of this one. on an i7 the ram runs at the memory bus speed. a normal, non-overclocked i7's 920 memory bus speed is 1066mhz (965 and higher is 1333mhz), but let's stick with the 920 for our example. this means that if you buy ram clocked at 1333mhz, it runs at 1066mhz. if you buy ram clocked at 1600mhz, it runs at 1066mhz. if you buy ram clocked at 2000mhz, guess what? it runs at 1066mhz. when you buy ram the frequency is an indicative number of the MAXIMUM frequency that the ram will run at stable. thus if you are overclocking, you will want to buy ram clocked at a higher frequency to ensure that your system stays stable under a higher BCLK (which along with overclocking the cpu overclocks the memory bus as well). and just in case you missed it the first time, i'll repeat myself: if you don't overclock then 2000mhz ram will run at the default memory bus speed @ 1066mhz.

just in case you want to argue the point further, please refer to the following articles explaining i7 memory configuration (a topic which you know nothing about):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276577-28-intel-core-memory-speed-confusion
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15967/1
http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/faq.aspx

maybe you should take a nice big cup of your own medicine and "shut the **** up unless you really know what you are on about". if you don't like being proven wrong, don't post bullshit. quite simple really.

not quite feeling your point about the 4 285s either. i wrote a big explanation about a 5970 running crysis at 50fps at 1920x1200 which is fine for me, and also the power that 4 285s would consume, and the little benefit that 99.99% of users would see out of it. but i deleted that because the real reason i don't really understand what you're trying to say is because it's not a walk in the park to get get 4x285s in sli. one of the only, if not the only 285 you can use in 4-way-sli is the EVGA classified version. and not only that but you would specifically need their motherboard as well to be able to run it. you can easily run 3x285s in tri-sli or 2x295s in quad-sli, but 4x285s in sli is another kettle of fish and you can't just do it with any old 285 or mb. the evga classified 285 seems very difficult to source in australia, i only found one place that stocks them for $587.37. so for quads you're talking $2349.48 worth of graphics cards alone, excluding the 4-way-sli motherboard you need to get which seems to be upwards of $700. yes, it would probably be a good system. is it worth it for the average user, especially considering the exorbitant cost and difficulty in obtaining the parts? definitely not. after factoring in the other parts, i don't think most people have $5000 to spend on a system anyway.

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Get 64 bit. I know with mine on 32bit, you can't use the full ram (only uses 3gb instead of 4gb, not sure how it works if you have over 4gb tho...levy will know the answer to that)

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
haha stealthy :p. yep get 64 bit if you want to use all of your ram. 32 bit operating systems only have 4gb of addressable space, and this is including graphics card ram and anything else that's addressable. the ram is addressed last so whatever is left over after everything else is given to your ram (usually about 3-3.5gb depending on how much ram your graphics card has). any ram that is not addressed is simply not used.

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
haha yehh, just waiting for the case to come still after 2 weeks of waiting they finally replied sayin we got the stock and it has been posted.....if they didnt have the stock well then they should of posted on the site sayin sold out lol otherwise i would of bought another instead of waiting so long..once i get it then i can start putting it in.

now with the psu, im thinking going for maybe a 750w im thinking that should be more then enough i think,

protocol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged/Walled WHII Statesman
You should be able to buy the OEM version if you're buying hardware at the same time? Might be mistaken but